If you've never been to Philmont and wonder what all the fuss is about, take a look at this article.  It might give you a glimpse of the kind of magic that others see in the place...
https://www.journalnow.com/entertainment/philmont-ranch-is-scouting-paradise/article_d660b318-46a2-52f2-8861-97802b28efa5.html 

I love seeing positive press about Scouting!!!

• 3 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, Terasec said:

reading that actually discourages me from pursuing Philmont,

350 arriving and departing daily? am not a fan of crowds,

At about 220 sq. miles, I would hardly call a population density of 1.5 people/sq. mile a "crowd".

23 minutes ago, Terasec said:

I get you. Running into another human when I'm soloing is the worst.

I know things may have changed over the last 40 years, but Philmont is hardly crowded. 

Except for Base camp and some activity camps,  I don’t remember seeing other crews much. I think we may have seen a couple in passing, and at Baldy and the Tooth. But 98% of the time it was my crew, the mountains, trees and animals.

The memories are great and still strong. I loved Philmont.

Been 3 times, recently in 2014.  Went in 85 during the Jamboree year, place was empty.  More open than many trails I hike and camp in the southeast.

2014 there were crews at campsites, but the sites are heeewge.  Actually did not see another crew camping...well maybe across a field.  Passed a crew now and then, but you can go for hours and only see your crew.  Last day we hiked out from Zastrow to Rayado...5 miles or so over basically good western terrain (down at the SE corner of the ranch), saw cows.  Stopped when we got to the road.

1 hour ago, Terasec said:

You may cross paths with another group once in a long while, but there is plenty of room to get lost. Still, Philmonts not cheap, so there has to be more, and there is. Philmont's charm on the trial are many camps and programs. Remembering a couple programs off  the top of my head, there is the mining camp, fishing camp, and a old west town with reenactors. Only time I ever got to try fly fishing, they provide the gear. Many camps have an adult only area with coffee and other treats, including a break from the scouts. Phimont adds more fun and adventure to the typical backpacking trek. Very Scouting. 

I have special memories of a Philmont trek where my older son and I were two of the adults in my younger's sons crew. It was perfect.

Barry

Edited by Eagledad
20 hours ago, Pale Horse said:

At about 220 sq. miles, I would hardly call a population density of 1.5 people/sq. mile a "crowd".

understand the overall land

its still 350 ppl/day being funneled in/out through single place

don't like being herded like cattle out to pasture

3 minutes ago, Terasec said:

500+ coworkers enter and exit my building everyday, yet I seldom walk in with another person.  Like you, I absolutely despise crowds and refuse to go most places that have them. 

In this instance, I think you're overestimating the crowded-factor.  I've never been to Philmont, but based on responses of other posters and those that have been there, I don't get the impression it's crowded. Certainly not as bad as the pictures of check-in and lines at World Jambo.  Now that is something that really turned me off.

14 minutes ago, Terasec said:

Must be having a bad day. You don't want to be around other people in the backwoods, I get it. But for someone who hasn't seen or experienced Philmont, "don't like being herded like cattle out to pasture" is disrespectful and unscout-like. To each their own and all that. 

Barry

Just got back from Philmont on 7/12/2019.  As for the "crowds", we saw fewer people there than we tended to run into hiking the GA sections of the AT for our prep hikes, but it wasn't uncommon to pass other crews coming the other direction.  Only 2 times (from my poor memory) did we overtake crews going the same direction and one of those was on the way approaching Baldy, so that was fairly understandable.  Camps tended to have enough room to move away from others so it didn't feel crowded, but there were only 3 nights out of 10 on the trail (out of base camp) where we were the only group in a camp and both of those were trail camps.  At the main/activity camps, you're probably going to be around 3-8+ other crews.  There was one night at Dan Heard where they didn't have any more sites left and were worried about what they'd do if another crew had to re-route to stay there due to weather.  When you're out on the trail it's MOSTLY just going to be your crew, and I wouldn't call the camps "crowded", but you definitely run into people most days after your trail time.  We actually ran into some of the same crews probably 3-5 times.

We had a good trip, I think the boys learned a lot and came away with valuable life experience, but if I wasn't going to help advise a crew and it was just me......I don't think I'd go again.  But then again, I'm no "trail conqueror" and long distance hiking, skimming over nature on a trail with all my food in my pack is not motivating to me.  It's a great classroom to teach the boys and get them out into nature so that's why I do it.

• Upvote 1