Summertime Pack Award

Just trying to be clear on the requirements.

Can individual Scouts earn the pin even if there is not enough participation for the entire Pack to earn the ribbon?

I have events planned and on the schedule for June, July, and August.  The Tiger Den (1 Scout) will participate in all three months.  The Wolf Den (1 Scout) attended Resident Camp, but not our Pack event in June.  The Bear Den (6 Scouts) 4 were present for June and July.  Webelos Den (2 Scouts) both participated in Resident Camp but not the June Pack event.

Can the Scouts that are showing up to everything earn the pin?

OK. Does this sound correct?

If the Pack provides an activity opportunity each month (June, July, August) - The Pack receives the ribbon.

If the Den has 50% participation in the activity in each month (June, July, August) The Den receives the ribbon.

If the Scout participates in an activity in each month (June, July, August). The Scout receives the pin.

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, CubScoutIdeas said:

Your pack earns the ribbon just by planning events. I verified this with National a few years ago. I have a screenshot of the email in this blog post.

https://cubscoutideas.com/6273/cub-scout-national-summertime-pack-award/

One note: the post only references boys—it’s on the list of ones that need to be updated. 

Thanks!!  We have a committee meeting coming up.  I am going to see if we want to count District camps as attending events for the purposes of this award.

I agree with the other posters.  At the pack level, there is no participation requirement.

The requirement for the pack is:  "The pack can qualify for the certificate and streamer by planning and conducting three pack activities—one each in June, July, and August, or during other school vacations if your pack is in a year-round school."

The requirement for dens is:  "Dens with an average attendance of at least half their members at the three summer pack events are eligible for a colorful den participation ribbon."

The requirement for individual Scouts is:  "Scouts who participate in all three pack events are eligible to receive the National Summertime Pack Award pin, which they can wear on the right pocket flap of their uniform."

https://www.scouting.org/awards/awards-central/national-summertime/

It's a participation award, so I would personally interpret it generously, because the idea is to encourage your pack and Scouts to be active over the summer.  But ultimately, it's up to your Pack Committee to decide.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, mrkstvns said:

Are these summertime events supposed to be organized by and for the pack....or does it count if the pack sends scouts to a council-run day camp?

We count that. Our pack organizes our attendance at Day camp. Collecting registration information, payments, ensures we have adequate adult:youth ratios, sends in registration. 

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

So... this month, our Pack went to Day Camp the first week in July. 

Our family was on vacation out of state that week. So my daughter attended Day Camp the 2nd week in July in a neighboring District, without her Pack. 

Since she did participate in a major Cub Scout activity in July, even though she didn't participate WITH her Pack, who also did participate in the activity, just at a different time, does she qualify for the Summertime Pack Award (she attended the June event and will attend two events in August). 

This is a relatively big question for me since we anticipate our allotted week at our vacation cabin to ALWAYS interfere with our District's Day Camp dates. I'm actually pondering enrolling my next Cub in a Pack in a neighboring District when she's old enough, just so she will be able to attend Day Camp with her Pack. 

4 hours ago, Liz said:

Our family was on vacation out of state that week. So my daughter attended Day Camp the 2nd week in July in a neighboring District, without her Pack. 

Since she did participate in a major Cub Scout activity in July, even though she didn't participate WITH her Pack, who also did participate in the activity, just at a different time, does she qualify for the Summertime Pack Award (she attended the June event and will attend two events in August). 

This is a relatively big question for me since we anticipate our allotted week at our vacation cabin to ALWAYS interfere with our District's Day Camp dates. I'm actually pondering enrolling my next Cub in a Pack in a neighboring District when she's old enough, just so she will be able to attend Day Camp with her Pack. 

One way to ensure that your kids have a scout event to take part in when it fits your schedule is to make it happen.  Maybe arrange a group swim one evening...or a potluck picnic in the park.

As another person suggested here, 2 pack events per summer month could benefit a lot of vacationing families.

Good luck!

5 hours ago, Liz said:

It is up to your Pack Committee to decide.  If it were up to me, I would probably count it.  The Cub Scout standard is to "do your best", and she did the exact same thing as everybody else, except a different week during the same month.  The whole intent behind this award is just to encourage packs to be active in Scouting over the summer.  Your pack was active and so was your daughter.

This is why I recommend holding a couple activities each month.  And the activities do not need to be anything major, they could be something like a nature hike, geocaching, picking up litter at a local park, etc.  Small activities that don't require a lot of preparation or time.  Different adult leaders could lead them (maybe Den 1 is in charge of nature hike #1, and Den 2 is in charge of nature hike #2), but the entire pack would be invited to attend.