OA election nights

Ok I talked to nationals -Guide to National Elections covers this in #8 of the description.  Our DE is supportive to move forward with the election for this Scout. Thank you Tayna at Nationals.  They do not interpret policy and said this is a fine line, but the FAQ page does refer to this question.  Thank you for everyone’s input.

So you were finally able to justify the answer you wanted. Does the scout know all of the trouble you are going through just to get him nominated for an OA Election? Does he really care that much? Or is it someone else who cares? Is there any question that this scout will be elected into the Order?

Come on, you're working it too hard.

sst3rd

the OA used to mean something

Excuse me?  All comments shared are shared with our DE.  I was advised to contact National and I did.  It is not my decision.  I also agreed there were gray area in regards to this.  I also thought the OA National policy weighs heavily in this situation.  I appreciate everyone’s time.  I think it’s important to weigh all options in this situation to ensure policy is met.  There has been a lot of thought put into many of the responses.  I’m really surprised to see the last one.  This is a forum to ask questions, National sent that to me to reference and I do feel as though the OA National policy of QA is a reliable resource.  Again, the ultimate decision will be up to the DE.   Thank you-

15 minutes ago, SM101 said:

Again, the ultimate decision will be up to the DE.   Thank you-

Actually no it is not up to the DE. OA policy states what you asked is possible. Now the SM can decide to put his name on the ballot or not. 

• Upvote 1
5 hours ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

Actually no it is not up to the DE. OA policy states what you asked is possible. Now the SM can decide to put his name on the ballot or not. 

Agreed.  I can't fathom why the DE would have any involvement here at all to be honest.  It's a SM decision.  If not, then it's the OA chapter advisor.  if not, then maybe the Lodge advisor.  I can't see that the DE has any role here at all.  

I like my DE very much, but this is a volunteer decision.

The larger focus should be this;  Being tapped for the OA is not a recognition award, but rather a call to service.  I having a hard time believing  someone who marginally qualifies to be to participate in an election would be contribute in any meaningful manner to the local chapter, lodge, council, or national, unless the youth scouter has entered scouting very late, and plans to serve with much energy and exuberance.