Eagle Scout Shown Leniency

2 hours ago, SSScout said:

From Whom Did He Learn This Behavior?

That brings up another thread in this topic. Scout spirit or good character is one of those things that is best described as an ideal one always reaches for but never accomplishes. It's a paradox. The humility of never quite making it keeps one humble enough to keep trying. The rank of eagle, on the other hand, is a title bestowed by the BSA. Once an eagle always an eagle. One and done when you get right down to it. A bright, capable 16 year old that's told he's an eagle for life, that he's achieved the highest honor that the BSA can hand out - just might not have the humility or maturity to recognize that he's not infallible, that his hormones could cause him to make some bad decisions around a cute, drunk girl. Well, no 16 year old has that but all the pomp and circumstance that goes with eagle might confuse a kid.

So, to answer your question, maybe some of the whom is all of us that help bestow titles.

I'm not making excuses for this kid but the eagle mystique is something we should take with a grain of salt. A lot of eagle scouts are great. However, the rank is neither necessary nor sufficient to prove good character.

• Upvote 3
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am not opposed to having a juvenile justice system that can consider the age and maturity of the offender. I am opposed to a justice system that imposes harsher penalties on poor and disadvantaged k

I have never seen any appreciable difference in good/bad behavior between the Boy Scouts and the rest of the students in my classes. The Boy Scouts behave about the same as everyone else. Some are goo

That brings up another thread in this topic. Scout spirit or good character is one of those things that is best described as an ideal one always reaches for but never accomplishes. It's a paradox. The