WOW, now Harold and Maude along with Farenheit 451 in the same day. I love the Jaguar Hearse and the motorcycle cop that follows Maude and Harold as they take the tree to the wilderbess is Tom Skerrit in his debut. What ever happned to Bud Cort anyway?(This message has been edited by OldGreyEagle)

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My son learned the prussic knot at summer camp. He and I used it, along with a lever, to pull up some fence posts. The next job is to use it to climb the flagpole at the Community Center and fish a new halyard through the pulley at the top.

I can only tie this knot when in front of a crowd, what is it? (*answer below)

When moving, I tie a loop knot and back pull the line through to secure the merchandise. Upon arrival, the end of the cord is pulled and the line loosened. The first knot is then easily removed. I call it a moving knot. (terrible explanation but great knot)

Nobody has mentioned the fish knot, when a line is broken, you take the first line and tie an overhand knot onto the second line and then use the end of the second line to tie an overhand knot onto the first line. Then you simply pull the two knots together and it secures the fishing line that was broken! Try it, it will be the easiest knot you will ever learn and is useful.

(*answer- my stomach) I should get a Scoutbook from BL for that one.

FB

Either you are all wearing slip-on shoes, or you are simply forgetting . . .

The most common knot I tie is used when I tie my shoe laces. I'm not sure of the formal name for this "bow" knot, but if done properly it is simply a square knot with pull-out loops.

As my wife does it, it is a granny knot with pull-out loops.

As my children do it, it is (usually) a square knot with pull-out loops and an extra overhand knot of the loops just to be sure. Lately though my kids have taken to sliding their shoes off/on without untying/tying the knots.

Coolest knot to teach Cub Scouts: One-handed bowline (cool and easier to learn than standard bowline).

Coolest new knot I've learned lately: Alpine butterfly (a climbing knot).

Best knot book: Riggers Apprentice by Brian Toss, a sailing book but really good. Very good with splices and other stuff scouts don't often see.

Ooops, I missed that FOG DID mention that he tied his shoes.

About FOG's post, come on guys. Why can't we all get along? In reading FOGs post I immediately assumed he was simply making a somewhat "dark" joke.

Before anyone gets mad at me, by "dark" I mean absolutely nothing racial. Here "dark" is used much as it is for "dark comedy" (see definition below).

I have to admit, the propensity for people to start throwing stones in this forum has more than once made me hesitate to submit a post. Maybe that is why the forum has been so quiet lately.

A scout is ... friendly, courteous, kind,..., cheerful.

Dark Comedy: (1) A comedy having gloomy or disturbing elements, especially one in which a character suffers an irreparable loss. (2)A comedy characterized by morbid or grimly satiric humor.

In an effort to stay on track (just for the novelty of it) I'm a big fan of the little BSA knot book that you find in Council Scout shops for $1 or so. Covers the basics and enough to get through Pioneering.

And you'll find that Fisherman's Knot teaches a lot easier when you liken it to the Hangman's Noose - which every boy knows somehow

Most Useful - Tautline

Most Often - Tautline

Reference - I'm a knot freak and own close to 10 books on knots. I love playing around with the truckers hitch it is such a useful knot. My current favorite is the figure 8 follow-thru. I also like to teach the younger scouts the one hand bowline.

What ever happned to Bud Cort anyway?

According to the Internet Movie Database he has been in 38 films since Harold and Maude (including tv.) Most of them I have never heard of, including most of the recent ones. I did see "Dogma," from about 5 years ago, in which he plays God, sort of. (Actually a person whose body is being temporarily occupied by God; he is listed in the credits as "John Doe Jersey," while Alanis Morissette is credited as "God," but it's not quite that simple, either. It's an odd movie.)

I don't know the US names for these so I hope Eammon enjoys this list.

Most useful - clove hitch

Most important - Truckies hitch

Most painful - square lashing (tent falls on your head if you get it wrong)

Quickest - Alpine Buterfly (very quick when I'm on the tower and I can't find a close anchor

Prettiest - backsplice

Hardest - any whipping

Most Practical - Fig 8 lashing (not knot) makes quick and strong tripods. My campsites are full of tripods.

Best for a quick gettaway - Highwaymans hitch (good to get that fly sheet down quick)

Safest - Rethreaded Fig 8 (Knot not lashing) as it cannot be untied after they leave the ground

Having said that I'm not into knots really. They are great when needed but I recall many Troops spending lots of time doing knotting as a fill in and the programs went down hill. If we need them for the programmed activities then we visit the knots needed. Otherwise we play games and have adventures.

Okay, if we're talking about favorite knots I've gotta go with:

- Clove Hitch on a bight. The boys are amazed to see it "snapped" onto a post or upturned chair leg. [i get a big kick out of it too!]

- Sheepshank, when also tied in a bight (in this case 3 successive overhand loops), is another one that elicits lots of "whoa!" and "cool!" from the boys in my troop. I never liked this knot until I learned to tie it this way.

(This message has been edited by ManyIrons)

• 2 weeks later...

ManyIrons

Make 5 overlapping loops instead of 3. Pull the 2nd loop through the center of each loop to the right and pull the 4th loop to the left. (just like a 3 loop sheepshank where the center loop is the only one that is pulled left and right).

You'll see a square not in the middle when it is done correctly to make a 5 loop sheepshank.