How to find out old rank?

I don't want to go into too much detail on "why" since this involves a Scouter other than myself, but we have a parent/volunteer in our unit who is a former Scout but does not know whether he was ever awarded Eagle or not. Please no commentary on "how could he not know" - this is a unique situation and I'm not going to get into that part as it isn't my story to tell. 

My question is, how likely is it that the council he grew up in kept records good enough to be able to find out that information? I'm going to estimate this Scouter is about 40 years old by now, so we probably are looking at late 80s or early 90s. Who do you call or write to and what do you ask for? 

It's not all that important; I'm sure leaving the question on his adult application blank isn't going to cause any major problems; but if he's an Eagle Scout he might as well have the knot on his uniform. 

• Upvote 1

I'd email the registrar for the council he grew up in and explain what you're looking to find out.  They may or may not have records back that far.

Last year I went looking for my youth records.  I moved as a youth and so was in two different councils.  One council had old records and found my information.  The other council lost all the old records in a council merger.

In both councils the person I emailed was very willing to help me out.

• Like 1

Depends on the Council, but they usually keep the old records. I've never heard a council removing any records. But, up until around 2000 when the councils started converting to digital, the records were all hand written. So, the accuracy of the records, at least until around 2000, is a different discussion. I know that our Council put a lot of effort into converting the hand written records into digital. We found that up until 2000, every scout submitting paperwork for EBOR had a least one major advancement error by Council, usually several. Surprisingly few errors, if any, by Council after 2000. If your friend did an EBOR, then his records are very likely at council as well as national. 

Barry

• Upvote 1

I know there are extenuating circumstances that we're not aware of, and this is going to sound much harsher than I mean for it to, but I can't imagine many situations where someone was awarded Eagle and doesn't remember it.  

• Upvote 1

Record keeping:   NCAC microfilmed old records, and if you know the approximate date involved, you can run thru the microfilm.  The paper was destroyed after the film was made.   When my home Troop decided (FINALLY!)  to celebrate it's longevity,  I went to the Council and did the search.  It was very neat to see those long forgotten names again.  Proof that, yes, the Pack and Troop were 50 plus years old...

Finally, they held a celebratory picnic,  media attention and all, celebrating our 61st anniversary. Yes, it took more than 8 years to figure it out and make it happen.  

Aside:   When Scoutson graduated to full time Boy Scout Status,  ( 2005) and I started attending the Troop Meetings (in the back of the room) and became a ASM,  I thought something was peculiar about the flags as the Scouts did their opening ceremony. After one meeting, I went and inspected the USA and Troop flags.   The Troop flag was cotton/wool fabric, it looked old.  The US flag had 48 stars!   They were the same flags used when I had been a Scout !  And no one had noticed ! The Scouts took'em out of the closet ,  marched'em up the aisle, and marched'em back and put'em back in the closet, without a further thought....

After a conversation with the CCh, we got new flags and folded and put the old ones away in the file cabinet.   

37 minutes ago, SSScout said:

Record keeping:   NCAC microfilmed old records, and if you know the approximate date involved, you can run thru the microfilm.  The paper was destroyed after the film was made.   When my home Troop decided (FINALLY!)  to celebrate it's longevity,  I went to the Council and did the search.  It was very neat to see those long forgotten names again.  Proof that, yes, the Pack and Troop were 50 plus years old...

Finally, they held a celebratory picnic,  media attention and all, celebrating our 61st anniversary. Yes, it took more than 8 years to figure it out and make it happen.  

Aside:   When Scoutson graduated to full time Boy Scout Status,  ( 2005) and I started attending the Troop Meetings (in the back of the room) and became a ASM,  I thought something was peculiar about the flags as the Scouts did their opening ceremony. After one meeting, I went and inspected the USA and Troop flags.   The Troop flag was cotton/wool fabric, it looked old.  The US flag had 48 stars!   They were the same flags used when I had been a Scout !  And no one had noticed ! The Scouts took'em out of the closet ,  marched'em up the aisle, and marched'em back and put'em back in the closet, without a further thought....

After a conversation with the CCh, we got new flags and folded and put the old ones away in the file cabinet.   

Pretty cool story. Has anyone consider displaying those old flags permanently in a protective case? They are very powerful mementos of a great era of scouting.

Barry