How did YOU come to be involved in the BSA?

Been involved since my older brother became a cub scout. I was a "junior cub" (more like the den mascot), until I was old enough to join. Went on to make Eagle, and served as an ASM for several years (until I got out of college and got married). I was not active for about ten years, although I stayed in touch through my dad and other friends. I became active again when my son joined Tigers. I was their den leader, then Cubmaster, and now Scoutmaster.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of my dad's first jobs he had after he came back from WWII and went to college on the GI Bill was at a Boy Scout Camp for the summer. He was never a scout. As his sons came of age in the 60's he made sure we all signed up as Cubs and then onto Boy Scouts. He participated as a Committee Member, Ass't SM and eventually did a couple of years as Scoutmaster.

Fast forward 30 years and my own sons become eligible for membership and I ask them if they are interested in Cubscouting. We had always done a lot of outdoor activities and both enjoyed the cub scout experience. My older son lost interest after he crossed over. My younger son has kept his interest and it has grown over the last several years. I started out as an Asst. Den leader, and became a Committee member when my younger son crossed over. Now I'm the Adv. Chair for the Troop and participate in as many camping trips as I can get to.

I don't know what recruiting lessons there are. Enthusiastic parental support never hurts though.

SA

I was a Scout for all of a few months back in the 60s. After dropping out, I didnt have any contact with Scouting until the early 90s when my eldest son joined Cub Scouts. Initially I was just a Dad, but quickly joined the ranks as a leader when my son announced he wanted to quit because all we do is glue popsicle sticks together. Over the ensuing ten years Ive served as a Bear den leader, Webelos den leader, assistant Scoutmaster and just recently I was selected as the new Scoutmaster for our troop.

Im not sure any recruiting lessons can be derived from my experience. I heard all the we need your help pleas and 1-hour a week promises, but it was my sons frustration with his den leader that I got me off my duff.

Let's see, I got involved in 1st grade I guess as a Tiger. Went on to get my Arrow of Light. I joined the local troop in 5th grade and am still in now in 10th grade.

Recruitment--- keep them active and have lots of fun stuff to do. Being challenging is a must as well. I'm still in because I enjoy hiking, climbing, etc. If we get rid of those things, I wont stay in the troop long. I've already been tempted to change troops b/c of the lack of outdoors stuff.

My dad and a couple of mates wanted to be Scouts back in the 1930's. They went and asked a teacher to be the SM and started things up. SM stayed until retirement. Later dad became an SM. Whole family involved at some point so it was just natural that I started as soon as I came of age. Stayed on and off due to work through to being ASM several times over. Been SM now for four years. Both of my children and one foster boy in the Troop too.

Lessons - in may case (and many others above) family tradition seems to be a key. What can we do locally and nationally to encourage this?

My older son joined as a Tiger four years ago (he'll be Webelos II this coming year). I spent a year on the fringes (my husband was his Tiger adult partner) and then when the Pack needed a new newsletter editor, I volunteered. Partly because I've done plenty of newsletters before and didn't see it as a huge time committment, and partly because I didn't like the format of the one they had at the time! And it's just gone on from there - been on the committee ever since, took on my younger son's Tiger den two years ago, got my husband involved as Hikemaster and Advancement (we do that jointly, really) and now he'll be the Webelos II co-leader. We have a great Pack so it's been a lot of fun! :)

I joined Cubs at 8 years old, and don't remember my parents asking if I wanted to or not. Dad was active in Cubs as CC. Moved up to Boy Scouts (Dad became SM) and got my Eagle at 14. Stayed in thru High School, then laid low during college, but returned after college and eventually became SM too. Still doing it today!

As a youth, I joined a troop in 1977, left right before I got to 1st Class.

As an adult, I joined in the fun when my oldest was a tiger cub 6 years ago. Became his Tiger Partner and Den Leader

As a youth, I joined a troop in 1977, left right before I got to 1st Class.

As an adult, I joined in the fun when my oldest was a tiger cub 6 years ago. Became his Tiger Partner and Den Leader, because the Den Leader at that time was letting the Den fall apart. Became Cubmaster for 132 boys for two years because no one else wanted the job while serving as my son's Den Leader and Webelos Den Leader. Moved on with my oldest to Boy Scout serving as ASM. I'm still serving as my 2nd son's Webelos Den Leader and when my 2nd moves on to boyscout in 1.5 year, that's when my cubscouting tenure will reset to Tiger Cub with my 3rd son! Also serve on the District Training team for Cub and Boy Scout while being on the District selection committee.

... and yes ... I was suckered by the line "it only takes 1 hour a week!" :)

1Hour

I was a Cub Scout and a Boy Scout as a kid. I served on Camp Staff, got my Eagle, and was a Vigil Member of the OA. A year or so after college I decided to get involved as an ASM with a troop because I wan't doing anything else. This was in the era of the Urban Scout and I was horrified to see how the Outing had been removed from Scouting. A couple of years later I was approached to become SM of another troop and 25 years later I'm still at it. I stay in because I believe in the program and want to try and make a difference in a boys life by showing him the values of scouting.

Can't remember why I joined Cubs, that one is stuck in cholesterol someplace. I stayed through Eagle and left for college.

Years later when the previous cubmaster told me it only required one hour per month, I believed him (thanks for the reminder FOG). I can't even remember when that happened but it was also quite a while back.

The question could also be: why did you get married, have kids, go to graduate school? The only credible answer I've been able to identify is - we can't help ourselves.