How did YOU come to be involved in the BSA?

I was told that I was only going to be an "Acting" Scoutmaster temporarily until they find a new Scoutmaster for the Troop.

That was nine years ago.

Now their going to have a tough time trying to get me to leave.

Matua(This message has been edited by matuawarrior)

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i started from the begining. all the way through eagle. my father got as far as life but never got eagle because he felt that serving his country in vietnam was more important than being an eagle scout. he served 3 tours, became 1st lt. and as family tradition says " every male in the family shall serve at least 1 tour in any service" so i joined the united states marine corps. i leave for boot camp on november 8th. i am proud of my father and he is twice as proud of me.

Became a leader when oldest son was a Bear, because nobody else would step up. Agreed to "share" leadership with two other adults, who then backed out over the course of the year. Went on to be Webelos leader, then on Troop Committee, then son lost interest. Was asked to be an Explorer Post Advisor (back in 95 - now I guess the program is called Venturing). Did that for a year. Youngest son wanted to join cubs, agreed to be Ass't den leader, but really was co-leader (other leader provided location and administrivia, I provided program). Thought for sure I would be "retiring" after son crossed over, until TCC learned that my career training would lead me to be a great TCS. Guess I'm going on 12 years now.

BUG

I actually had two starts in scouting. I first started in cub scouts as a youngster. I was successful in advancement, earning many awards all the way through Webelos. I earned my Arrow of Light then on to Boy Scouts.

While in the troop, I progressed through First Class. IIRC, I had earned Star and was waiting on the next advancement ceremony when the bottom fell out. When I started to get involved in baseball and girls, the BSA fell to the wayside. My troop was failing to keep current scouts and recruit new ones. With this, the veteran Scoutmasters had more on their plate than they could handle and the troop folded under.

Fast forward to college. I had a certain instructor in the Health and PE department that offered a PE class that took a trip to the council's COPE course for one weekend. It was a fun way to earn an "A". I had such a good time, I signed up for the class the next semester with a few friends.

While there, the staff asked me if I was interested in joining them. I did and became a COPE instructor until May, 2003. At that time, I went to NCS COPE Director school in North Carolina. When I returned, I took over the operations of the council's COPE programs as the Council COPE Coordinator. About the same time, I also started as a Unit Commissioner in my district. Last month, I signed on with a friend's Cub Scout group as a Pack Committee Member. I was recently tapped out and went through the Ordeal for OA. So, I am looking forward to working with the lodge also.

I really am glad I got back into scouting. Looking back on my time as a youth, I regret dropping out. I know there is nothing I can do about that now, but I plan make contributions as an adult.