Sea Shell necklace

When I graduated from the Scoutmaster specific Training Course i was given a leather throng with 2 sea shells that appears similar to the Wood Badge Beads they are awarded.  Does anybody know how or when this is worn? Must I be in a scoutmaster role to wear it?  Or does just having graduated allow me to wear it?

Basically, if you cannot find a reference to it in the Guide to Awards and Insignia, probably should not be worn with the uniform.

When it comes to uniforming, Scouts tend to do as they see; if all of the Scouters in a unit are properly uniformed, the Scouts will likely be properly uniformed.  By the same token, if all of the Scouters wear only the shirt, and have insignia in the wrong places, the Scouts will follow suit.

• Upvote 1
  • 3 weeks later...

sounds to me like a local tradition. Nothing wrong with that. When it comes to necklaces and add-ons there is quite a bit of we went. The main rule is don't overdo it and don't have it be distracting.

@MikeS72 that is a good rule of thumb, but just don't tell anyone in micosay that they can't wear their necklace, unless you want a big fight.

Now there are quite a number of things that cannot wear on the uniform, including Eagle mentor and parent pins. These are specifically stated in the guide as non-uniform pieces. You cannot make special color loops for your epaulets, custom or spoof knots and trained patches are not approved.

• Upvote 1

As a former First Sergeant in the Army I think Uniform Regs are important.  Even if dont understand why an Eagle cannot show his continued commitment as an adult (someone explain this to me).  I have attached the sea shells to my class b troop sweatshirt. I think of it now as a campaign coin... not a medal.  A kind informal commendation Soldiers hold dear but have no official meaning.

47 minutes ago, ArmyScout said:

Even if dont understand why an Eagle cannot show his continued commitment as an adult (someone explain this to me)

I don't understand your statement. In what way can an eagle not show continued commitment as an adult?

1 hour ago, ArmyScout said:

If I understand correctly.  Adult volunteers do not wear Scouting awards.

Awards or ranks?

Ranks, whether the patch or pin, are for youth and not to be worn as adults. Now some youth ranks: Eagle Scout, Sea Scout Quartermaster, Cub Scout Arrow of Light, Venturing Silver/Summit, and some discontinued older Explorer ranks,  do have knots that represent the rank that adults do wear on their uniforms. And for Eagle, Quartermaster,  Silver/Summit, and the older awards with medals, those are worn on special occasions.

As to awards, I do have some of the awards on uniforms because i can still wear them. But most of them ar eframed on wall.

Edited by Eagle94-A1

Like Chris 1 says above, don't tell "Heartland of America" or "Ozark Trails" Councils, they can't wear their mic-o-say necklace.  You would be amazed what a scout or scouter would do for one little bead.  OA can have some beads in there also.  Cubs know this pride from beads and arrow points.  As a roundtable commissioner, I gave out locomotive-engine beads to those "trained" leaders for their necklace.  Each attendee to a roundtable received a bead/item.  As necklaces got rather long, we found other ways to display them, like attaching to a coup stick or hiking stave. 

I've used beads and necklaces with scouts and cubs for years.  Every event received a different bead, or item.  This is similar to the "arrow of light" arrow with bands crested on the shaft.  I like to use orange beads for tigers, yellow for wolves, etc.  OA may get red or white feathers. 

On a final note, I find it interesting how many scouters fault the necklaces, quote the uniform guide, but still refer to class A or class B uniforms.  Please don't be too critical of motivational practices when you can't understand what a field uniform is.  I've seen really great scouts in ragged clothes and hand-me-down uniforms, and really poor scouters in highly pressed, correctly-placed-item uniforms.           

• Upvote 1

Upvoting @Double Eagle because councils may encourage the use of local totems with field uniforms.

Wear it those shells with pride. It sounds like they are intended to be woven into a neckerchief slide. Check with your council to see if they have a particular suggestion.

And Eagle? Wear the knot. At courts of honor, pull out the medal. You may also wear the medal with civilian dress if you happen to be at a suit and tie (or tuxedo) scouting event.

From my youth, I always thought the whole fuss about ovals on the left pocket being youth-only was much about nothing. I would like as many adults who dare wear a uniform to go ahead and try to get signed of on their 1st class skills by the SPL or designated JASM ... then on to Eagle.  But since that's not the case. So, when folks ask, I tell them, "I was an Eagle scout." To anyone who tries to correct me, I say, "When my SM's/ASM's can earn it, I'll replace was with am."

Once a scout, always a scout.

• Like 1

As I was thinking about all the issues with the items above, I had to laugh at the thought of the oversized 6" ranks, to include Eagle Scout that I can only think are jacket patches.  Imagine seeing one of those on a uniform.  If those oversized ranks don't go on the back of jacket, and officially only one patch on the back I know, where the heck do you put them.  I have seen uniform sized eagle scout ranks sewn or glued on packs, book covers, notebooks, pen sets, neckerchiefs, hats, and other items.  I would never grab up another eagle scout and tell them to cut or rip it off the item as it was not allowed.  It took years to earn, they are proud of it, gets younger scouts to talk about it, and has a better effect being seen rather than buried in box only to be replaced with a knot.  My two cents.

44 minutes ago, Double Eagle said:

As I was thinking about all the issues with the items above, I had to laugh at the thought of the oversized 6" ranks, to include Eagle Scout that I can only think are jacket patches.  Imagine seeing one of those on a uniform. ...

@Double Eagle, the bottom line is always "neat appearance". The large patches (of any nature) were clearly intended for the backs of jackets, backpacks, and other non-uniform purposes.

I agree that it's more important to give an 18 year old a Voter Registration Application than it is to throw him/her the Insignia Guide. That said, young adult ASMs do ask me when they should be removing their oval. I usually reply, "If you're old enough to ask ..."