Our District had a lady who used to do a lot of embroidery and sewing.  She made the ones around here that I knew of, but she isn't doing much sewing anymore.  I think she would take old shirt material and make it into a name patch.  That way it matched the thread & font of the BSA fabric/ stitching. 

37 minutes ago, awanatech said:

Our District had a lady who used to do a lot of embroidery and sewing.  She made the ones around here that I knew of, but she isn't doing much sewing anymore.  I think she would take old shirt material and make it into a name patch.  That way it matched the thread & font of the BSA fabric/ stitching. 

That's thrifty!

• Upvote 1

Wow.  I had this convo.  Was told red the new color.  Those epulates not blue.  Green shoulder loops I guess.12 yo scout.  I'm only trying to be the best for my boy and help young people go grow strong.

I would not worry about it. National screwed this up when they changed over to green on tan numbers. Besides National did say uniform items from the old uniform and new uniform are interchangeable.

While white on red numbers are suppose to be for Cub Scouts and Venturers, Scouts wear green on tan and Sea Scouts wear white on navy now, National did state in 2009 when the Centennial Uniform (CU) came out that uniform items of the Oscar de la Renta (ODL)  Uniforms were interchangeable with the CUs. So  you could wear green numbers and loops on the ODLs and vice versa. Many units, especially ones with Cub Scout Packs, continue to wear red in my area. Some units do not care what color you wear as National really screwed up on this. 

I say National scerewed up because of the confusion at the time or CU release was the instructions. It was a "Charley Foxtrot" The Insignia Guide (IG)covering the new uniform came out almost a year after the uniforms were available. Between being revealed in May 2008, becoming available in August 2008, and the IG coming out in May 2009, there were so many different flyers on who wears what that NO ONE, NOT EVEN NATIONAL SCOUT SHOP EMPLOYEES (emphasis) knew what was going on.

First everyone in the CU wore green on tan numbers, including Webelos and Cub Scouters. Then it switched to Webelos and Cub Scouters still wear white on red numbers. Then it briefly switched to Webelos and Cub Scouters wore red on tan numbers ( that was for about 3 -4 weeks and they were never made but pics exist somewhere). Then it switched to Webelos wear white on red, Cub Scouters wear green on tan. Then it switched back to  Webelos and Cub Scouters still wear white on red numbers.

The changes were so fast and contradictory, that I called the national scout shop I worked for in college to get the correct information prior to buying my uniform. I was told by the National Scout Shop staff that the IG was coming out soon and that it would state Webelos wear white on red, Cub Scouters wear green on tan. And that is what I bought: green on tan numbers and the green on tan 'Centennial" trained strip. about 10 days after my purchase and everything is on the shirt, the IG comes out, and states Webelos and Cub Scouters still wear white on red numbers. Fool that I am, I went out and got the updated colored numbers, and ordered the new CU red on tan trained strip, since none of the tan on red trained strips I had already fit on the 'smokes pocket."

• Haha 1

Like @Eagle94-A1 said, if you are with a troop, then you would typically wear the green on tan unit numerals (at least, according to the current BSA Guide to Awards and Insignia).  However, some troops do their own thing.  Cub Scout packs and Venturing crews usually wear the white on red unit numerals.

Also, there are 2 different shads of green for shoulder loops.  One shade of green is for troops, the other is for Venturing.

https://blog.scoutingmagazine.org/2014/07/30/different-colors-scouting-shoulder-loops-mean/

21 hours ago, Liz said:

Possibly a District patch if your Council uses them (Yay, a uniform debate about District patches!) 

Just to clarify this point:

DISTRICT INSIGNIA "Districts are the operational arms of the local council. Individuals are not identified as residents of a district, but of the local council and the BSA. For this reason, district insignia is not authorized for wear on the uniform. Where it seems desirable to identify district participation in council activities or events, district flags, banners, or temporary insignia may be authorized. They are described in the “Flags” section of this book."

- Under the heading "Special Regulations," page 10 of the Guide to Awards and Insignia

Edited by The Latin Scot
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

Yup. District patches are not authorized by National except as temporary patches. 

That doesn't mean that all Councils follow this rule. Some use a District patch as a routine and expected part of every uniform, in spite of National's uniform policy. 

My Council uses a 2nd Council patch on the right front pocket, around which participation segments are attached. That's not in line with the National uniform policy either. IMO, if that kind of patch is going to be used at all, it makes more sense to be a District patch, as a Council patch there is redundant with the Shoulder patch. My heart wouldn't break if nothing were used there at all (and I don't have one on my uniform but everyone else does...) but when you ever whisper that it's not how the uniform is supposed to look people act like you're trying to kill Scouting... 

9 minutes ago, ArmyScout said:

Patches and badges a difference?

If we refer to a patch, that is often a temporary patch, like camporee, summer camp, etc; and goes on the right pocket.  It might also be a patrol patch, trained strip, or something of that type.  When I am referring to a badge on the uniform, I am specifically referring to rank, worn only by youth, and only on the left pocket.  Some also refer to a badge of office, for POR insignia.

I am less concerned with the terminology someone uses, and just hope that they are only wearing what has a) been earned, and b) is actually authorized for wear on the uniform and is in the correct location.