Eagle Workbook questions

I’m helping out in the district with Eagle Scout Project Proposal approvals and Eagle Board of Reviews. 

I approved a project from a scout, it is now complete and just found out that the scout hand wrote the workbook rather than completing it on a computer (the proposal was done on a computer).   Is is out of line if I ask the youth to type it in the workbook in the format they are supposed to use by national?

If it is an issue of not having a computer, couldn’t the youth use the public library and a usb storage stick?  

There is no requirement to type.  Our district requires the proposal to be typed or in pen.  No pencil.  But I'm not sure there is even a requirement to be in pen.  

The key point is the project is required.  The paperwork is supporting material.  The paperwork should reflect the quality that will be in the project and in the scout.  Beyond that, it's the "plan, develop and lead" that we are looking to agree on in the proposal.  But the paperwork itself is NOT the rank requirement and it absolutely does not need to be typed. 

I highly suggest reading BSA Guide To Advancement beginning to end.  Also, subscribe to BSA Advancement News

The Nov/Dec 2017 Advancement News article on projects jumping the gun has some applicable quotes.  Page 8.  Last paragraph.  

When considering which of these options is appropriate in a specific case, everyone involved in the decision should keep in mind that write-ups and signatures, though important, are simply supportive. It is the project that we require. Ultimately, it is up to the Scout's board of review to determine if the project itself met the requirement. Boards of review should use common sense when reviewing the following: Did the project meet the requirements or not? Was there planning and development? Was there leadership of others?

The Aug/Sep 2013 Adv News has an article on keeping project proposal approvals simple, encouraging and mentions not getting stuck on technicalities.  

The Jan/Feb 2019 Adv News has a great article on what is expected in a proposal review.  

The Guide To Advancement section on Eagle projects and ranks is critical too.

Edited by fred8033
  • Upvote 1

I’ve actually driven past the completed project and it looks great. As a former teacher I feel that the supporting documentation should be legible to be complete.   I understand the workbook is just supporting material, but why not put your best foot forward and do a quality job on the entire process not just the physical building portion of the project.  I guess I will know more when I get the workbook from the scout. More to come.  

District I am in wants it typed. #1 reason for that is that since handwriting isn't done in the schools locally, it is legible. Apparently they had issues in the past about legibility. The #2 reason for that is every student in the public school system is issued a laptop and the bulk of the Scouts are already use to typing everything up. Most homeschoolers and private school students also have computer access. So it isn't a big deal. 

I know my oldest is currently working on his paperwork. He has a working copy that he writes in pencil with and edits.. But he types up stuff once he finishes with the working copy.

12 minutes ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

District I am in wants it typed. #1 reason for that is that since handwriting isn't done in the schools locally, it is legible. Apparently they had issues in the past about legibility. The #2 reason for that is every student in the public school system is issued a laptop and the bulk of the Scouts are already use to typing everything up. Most homeschoolers and private school students also have computer access. So it isn't a big deal. 

I know my oldest is currently working on his paperwork. He has a working copy that he writes in pencil with and edits.. But he types up stuff once he finishes with the working copy.

It's okay to "want it typed" and to encourage scouts to do so. It is unacceptable to have a rule or policy about it. Such local rules violate the principal of "No More, No Less."

Good adult scouters enable scouts to succeed. They never set up roadblocks or impediments. 

Well, no one has complained yet about it,  so I am not worried. Again EVERYTHING (enphasis) is required to be typed in the public schools, so for these kids, it is not a big deal. NOW having them hand write something. That is a challenge.

On June 18, 2019 at 11:43 PM, Momleader said:

...   I understand the workbook is just supporting material, but why not put your best foot forward and do a quality job on the entire process not just the physical building portion of the project. ...

Because in real life, a good job speaks for itself, and no amount of beureaucratic window-dressing will improve a bad job.

If it's legible, and you still want it on a computer, take pictures of it.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

When I sit at the Troop reviews, I always suggest they type just because as prep for later life when typed will be required and it just comes across as more prepared and professional.  But, nope, not required.  I just had a kid whose family didn't have a working computer so...(I did offer him one of the old ones lying about my house)  and the Eagle Workbook PDF is one of the worst fillable documents I have ever worked with (when I was helping my own son do his) so I wouldn't blame any one who said "forget this, I am going to hand write"

• Upvote 1

I always encourage typing as it can be updated.  Sometimes the assumption that all youth fully understand all aspects of all platforms like fillable PDF documents because they have a phone glued to their hand is incorrect.

Was working with one scout, he knew Excel and Powerpoint, but was confused by the PDF.  Showed him how to cut and paste, which he commented with amazement was the same as Excel and Powerpoint keyboard shortcuts.  This was a HS Junior.  Sometimes the transference of knowledge and tasks is not intuitively obvious