Posted (edited)

Once again, a unit troop trailer was stolen from the Chartered Partner’s parking lot.  It’s from a unit I know, so it really sucks  

Friends, if you’re an IH, COR, or CC, you’ve some work to do...

Annually, empty out the trailer and do a physical, photographic inventory. 

Document your inventory on some form of spreadsheet. Tents, camp stoves, gas bottles all add up quick.

Put the trailer/contents on the Chartered partner’s property/casualty policy, or obtain one

WHY ALL THIS?  BE PREPARED.  

Get and use a hitch lock.

Through your local police, get and use a tire “boot”.

Deep etch on the frame and walls unit and Chartered partner info  

Make your trailer not worth the time to steal.

may it never happen to you  

Edited by John-in-KC
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, John-in-KC said:

Once again, a unit troop trailer was stolen from the Chartered Partner’s parking lot.  It’s from a unit I know, so it really sucks  

Friends, if you’re an IH, COR, or CC, you’ve some work to do...

Annually, empty out the trailer and do a physical, photographic inventory. 

Document your inventory on some form of spreadsheet. Tents, camp stoves, gas bottles all add up quick.

Put the trailer/contents on the Chartered partner’s property/casualty policy, or obtain one

WHY ALL THIS?  BE PREPARED.  

Get and use a hitch lock.

Through your local police, get and use a tire “boot”.

Deep etch on the frame and walls unit and Chartered partner info  

Make your trailer not worth the time to steal.

may it never happen to you  

I've heard too many similar stories too.

We consider a tire boot just part of the cost of having a trailer.  Not having one is an open invitation to thieves. 

• Upvote 1

Our unit asked our meeting place (not the CO) for a room in the basement for storage. They approved and we now emptyed our trailer into the room. When we go on camp outs they scouts(PLs) give the QM a list of the equipment they need and it is put in the trailer. It not only covers us in case the trailer is stolen (parked at a former troop members ranch ) but it also teaches the boys to pack lite and not bring everything and the kitchen sink. Because they’d have to carry it up the stairs!!

Ya gotta wonder about the moral depravity of someone who would steal from scouts.

Sadly, I gotta agree with the folks who recommend the tire boots.   It's cheap insurance....this little guy can be had as cheap as $50 on Amazon or buy it in person at a local tool emporium...

image.png.b95895ab286c5cccd46725935f9319d8.png