I suppose if you're the type of thief that favors the "Storage Wars" television show approach, you would  prefer the nondescript trailer that could lead to unknown riches. 😕

Edited by Chadamus
Spelling
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Once again, a unit troop trailer was stolen from the Chartered Partner’s parking lot.  It’s from a unit I know, so it really sucks   Friends, if you’re an IH, COR, or CC, you’ve some work to do..

I've heard too many similar stories too. We consider a tire boot just part of the cost of having a trailer.  Not having one is an open invitation to thieves. 

Our unit asked our meeting place (not the CO) for a room in the basement for storage. They approved and we now emptyed our trailer into the room. When we go on camp outs they scouts(PLs) give the QM a

Posted Images

1 hour ago, mrjohns2 said:

Really? I think troop decals lesson the chance of theft. What criminal can turn troop gear into cash vs construction tools?

Pawn shop, ebay. Remember, their overhead is free. If they sell sleeping bags and tents for $10 each, they've made a profit. As for the trailer..... I'm not so sure. 

2 hours ago, Sentinel947 said:

Pawn shop, ebay. Remember, their overhead is free. If they sell sleeping bags and tents for $10 each, they've made a profit. As for the trailer..... I'm not so sure. 

Sure, plenty of pawn shops want our junk. Dirty tents and cook gear over welders, wrenches, and power tools. Hummmm.... I think a troop is better off labeling it “camping junk” and the criminals move on. 

In my experience, the more easily something can be stolen, the more likely it will. If it wasn't for boxes labelled prime-for-stealing on doorsteps, I bet more scout trailers would get attention from thieves. :(

Edited by RememberSchiff
57 minutes ago, mrjohns2 said:

Sure, plenty of pawn shops want our junk. Dirty tents and cook gear over welders, wrenches, and power tools. Hummmm.... I think a troop is better off labeling it “camping junk” and the criminals move on. 

Are you arguing that troop trailers are not stolen, given that there are articles monthly here indicating otherwise? 

Yes, tools are higher margin and better for thieves, but Scout trailers are typically lightly defended and can be profitable to sell the contents. 

1 hour ago, Sentinel947 said:

Are you arguing that troop trailers are not stolen, given that there are articles monthly here indicating otherwise? 

Yes, tools are higher margin and better for thieves, but Scout trailers are typically lightly defended and can be profitable to sell the contents. 

I’ve seen articles; I can’t say I have seen 12 in the last year, let alone more than one per month as you indicate.

I can very little in a scout trailer that could be sold for ready cash (cash in days) beyond the trailer itself. That may be what thieves are after. I bet you wouldn’t get much if you sold the contents of a trailer at a garage sale, even less if it was know to be stolen and you wanted it sold fast.

I’m not at all saying they aren’t stolen, what I am saying is that I think as good of an argument can be made for decorating your trailer as not. 

17 minutes ago, mrjohns2 said:

I’ve seen articles; I can’t say I have seen 12 in the last year, let alone more than one per month as you indicate.

I can very little in a scout trailer that could be sold for ready cash (cash in days) beyond the trailer itself. That may be what thieves are after. I bet you wouldn’t get much if you sold the contents of a trailer at a garage sale, even less if it was know to be stolen and you wanted it sold fast.

I’m not at all saying they aren’t stolen, what I am saying is that I think as good of an argument can be made for decorating your trailer as not. 

I'm probably being hyperbolic on how many times articles get posted here about stolen trailers, at least if you believe the search function. 🤣

I don't think they are getting rid of the trailer that quickly. I'm not an expert on trailers, but I think most have a title and a VIN. Who's buying a trailer without a title/VIN? It's clearly stolen if the seller doesn't have those. 

Meanwhile "lightly used" Coleman stoves are going on Ebay for about $30 a pop. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Green-2-burner-Coleman-Stove-Model-424-Dual-Fuel-Lightly-Used-w-Instructions/143335674661?hash=item215f78d325:g:5C0AAOSwTSldNclP 

A typical troop trailer is going to have several hundred dollars of gear that can be sold used. I could be wrong, but I think that gear is easier to sell then the trailer. 

I don't think decorating it as a Scout trailer matters. It probably makes it easier to recover and harder for the thieves to sell, but on the downside it advertises the contents. Might be a wash in the end. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Another stolen Boy Scout trailer was recovered, this one parked behind a house where thieves were in the process of repainting it. 

Interestingly, the trailer still held the scouts' camping equipment, and some "extras"....namely meth paraphernalia.   Sounds like Walter White may have moved on from using RVs.

Story:  https://www.mansfieldnewsjournal.com/story/news/2019/09/17/boy-scout-trailer-recovered-galion-no-arrests-made-yet/2354081001/ 

To keep this on a lighter side, I had to laugh when they mentioned the meth items found in the trailer.  I can just imagine the discussion when a troop/patrol quartermaster handed out a bong while digging out cooking gear.  A new parent would flip and need CPR.  And unknowing scouts would say Mr Scouter fell over after seeing a flower vase.  Funny!

Glad they got it back and neighbors could ID it by the markings on the side.

• 2 weeks later...

Thieves in St Louis made off with yet another Boy Scout troop trailer....
https://www.kmov.com/news/boy-scout-troop-s-trailer-with-equipment-inside-stolen-in/article_b65a1248-e0be-11e9-b184-13b39e0ebe0e.html

Thieves cut two different locks to steal the trailer late Sunday night or early Monday morning, the troop says.

St. Louis City police say 12 trailer thefts have been reported in the city in the past two months, including the theft of a trailer that left a South City business out $100,000.

The troop’s trailer is described as a white 2006 Pace American Trailer, with Missouri license plate number 22D6GJ. It has no Boy Scout markings on it.

Anyone with information is asked to call St. Louis police.