Once again, a unit troop trailer was stolen from the Chartered Partner’s parking lot.  It’s from a unit I know, so it really sucks  

Friends, if you’re an IH, COR, or CC, you’ve some work to do...

Annually, empty out the trailer and do a physical, photographic inventory. 

Document your inventory on some form of spreadsheet. Tents, camp stoves, gas bottles all add up quick.

Put the trailer/contents on the Chartered partner’s property/casualty policy, or obtain one

WHY ALL THIS?  BE PREPARED.  

Get and use a hitch lock.

Through your local police, get and use a tire “boot”.

Deep etch on the frame and walls unit and Chartered partner info  

Make your trailer not worth the time to steal.

may it never happen to you  

Edited by John-in-KC
  • Sad 1
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Once again, a unit troop trailer was stolen from the Chartered Partner’s parking lot.  It’s from a unit I know, so it really sucks   Friends, if you’re an IH, COR, or CC, you’ve some work to do..

I've heard too many similar stories too. We consider a tire boot just part of the cost of having a trailer.  Not having one is an open invitation to thieves. 

Our unit asked our meeting place (not the CO) for a room in the basement for storage. They approved and we now emptyed our trailer into the room. When we go on camp outs they scouts(PLs) give the QM a

Posted Images

1 hour ago, John-in-KC said:

Once again, a unit troop trailer was stolen from the Chartered Partner’s parking lot.  It’s from a unit I know, so it really sucks  

Friends, if you’re an IH, COR, or CC, you’ve some work to do...

Annually, empty out the trailer and do a physical, photographic inventory. 

Document your inventory on some form of spreadsheet. Tents, camp stoves, gas bottles all add up quick.

Put the trailer/contents on the Chartered partner’s property/casualty policy, or obtain one

WHY ALL THIS?  BE PREPARED.  

Get and use a hitch lock.

Through your local police, get and use a tire “boot”.

Deep etch on the frame and walls unit and Chartered partner info  

Make your trailer not worth the time to steal.

may it never happen to you  

I've heard too many similar stories too.

We consider a tire boot just part of the cost of having a trailer.  Not having one is an open invitation to thieves. 

• Upvote 1

Our unit asked our meeting place (not the CO) for a room in the basement for storage. They approved and we now emptyed our trailer into the room. When we go on camp outs they scouts(PLs) give the QM a list of the equipment they need and it is put in the trailer. It not only covers us in case the trailer is stolen (parked at a former troop members ranch ) but it also teaches the boys to pack lite and not bring everything and the kitchen sink. Because they’d have to carry it up the stairs!!

• Upvote 1

Ya gotta wonder about the moral depravity of someone who would steal from scouts.

Sadly, I gotta agree with the folks who recommend the tire boots.   It's cheap insurance....this little guy can be had as cheap as $50 on Amazon or buy it in person at a local tool emporium...

image.png.b95895ab286c5cccd46725935f9319d8.png

• 1 month later...

Our troop uses a hitch lock and a tire boot when parked in the CO parking lot and we don't leave it loaded, except for the dutch ovens, cast iron pans and propane lanterns which have dedicated compartments in the trailer.  

On ‎7‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 2:57 PM, mrkstvns said:

Thieves just can't seem to get enough of stealing troop trailers!

This week another tale of a missing trailer....this time in sunny Florida...
https://www.news4jax.com/news/florida/clay-county/thieves-snag-boy-scout-trailer-full-of-equipment 

Yes we have had at least 2 possibly 3 trailers stolen recently here in the N. Florida Council.   Its sad.   When we kept our pack and troop trailers at our Chartered Org. it kept getting broken into.   Cut big locks and mangled the boots on them.    Now I believe they are parked at the SM's Dads house on his land and his Dad is apparently ready to shoot anyone coming onto his property.  So best of luck to whomever tries them.  LOL 

I think the main problem is that these trailers are easily identified as scout trailers due to the decals on them.   We have removed ours.   Someone suggested painting the unit # on the roof so the thieves cant see it but you have an ID on it when possibly found or looked for. 

9 minutes ago, Jackdaws said:

I think the main problem is that these trailers are easily identified as scout trailers due to the decals on them.

Agreed. While the fancy paint jobs, decals, emblems, etc can be great advertisement for your Troop or Pack, you're also advertising your goods to thieves.

I assume thiefs would steal a trailer regardless of the markings.  I also assume the Scouts take pride in seeing their Troop # emblazoned and create fond memories.  Thus I'd vote to keep the trailer marked and perhaps greater chance of being recovered.

Most trailer thefts are probably for the contents and not the trailer.  Thus thiefs probably don't know what's in a Scout trailer... items with nil re-sale value - except maybe scrap metal!

PS:  I've always been associated with Troops where equipment kept in a CO room or closet and transported to camp in Scouts'  packs. 

Many years ago our trailer was parked at the church, where we were chartered.  It was not stolen, but was broken into.  Lots of equipment taken and the thieves had a party complete with cheap wine bottles.  Police took prints from the bottles and pictures of muddy boot prints in the trailer, but never caught anyone, even though they said they thought they knew who might have done it.  We found some of the equipment at a flea market about 30 miles away over the next couple of weeks and were able to get it back.

The church assumed we were on their policy so turned in a claim for us.  It ended up in court.  The judge ruled against us because the church did not have a key to the trailer locks, only Scout leaders.  There were no youth at the church so no  youth in the troop.  The IH and COR really had no interest in the troop and rarely met with us.  They did not want a key.

We moved the trailer to the land of one of the committee members and set about fund raising to replace the equipment.

Thieves gonna thieve? Probably so. Our Scouts absolutely take pride in their trailer's appearance. I like @Jackdaws comment about marking the top of the trailer. Makes it easily identifiable when the local police helicopter flies overhead looking for stolen trailers.

Our Troop's trailers are stored on the personal property of our ASMs. Never the CO's property.

On 7/25/2019 at 9:44 AM, Chadamus said:

Agreed. While the fancy paint jobs, decals, emblems, etc can be great advertisement for your Troop or Pack, you're also advertising your goods to thieves.

Really? I think troop decals lesson the chance of theft. What criminal can turn troop gear into cash vs construction tools?

14 minutes ago, mrjohns2 said:

Really? I think troop decals lesson the chance of theft. What criminal can turn troop gear into cash vs construction tools?

We'd have to ask all the thieves that have stolen Scout trailers. There are plenty out them out there.

Edited by Chadamus