Catholic Award for Boy Scout going into the sixth grade question

My son is a boy scout who is entering the sixth grade, has not started/completed the Parvuli Dei.  The rub is my son is 11 years old and a scout.  From my reading, he is not eligible for the emblem.  Additionally, because he has not completed the 6th grade and he is not 13 years old he may not work towards the Ad Altare Dei emblem.  So as it stands, he is just in a holding pattern for a couple of years.  Does everyone agree?

Scotty

14 minutes ago, Summitdog said:

My son is a boy scout who is entering the sixth grade, has not started/completed the Parvuli Dei.  The rub is my son is 11 years old and a scout.  From my reading, he is not eligible for the emblem.  Additionally, because he has not completed the 6th grade and he is not 13 years old he may not work towards the Ad Altare Dei emblem.  So as it stands, he is just in a holding pattern for a couple of years.  Does everyone agree?

Yes, I think you've figured this one out on your own.

Parvuli Dei is for 8-10 year old Cub Scouts. Once a scout crosses over to a Scout troop, he's no longer eligible. 

Ad Altare Dei is for 13-14 year olds who have completed 6th grade. 

(Info:  http://www.nccs-bsa.org/index.php/religious-emblems/ad-altare-dei)

Let your son focus on earning his ranks through First Class. He'll then be well situated to handle the (fairly rigourous) Ad Altare Dei program.

Good luck!

Ad Altare Dei is a bit more involved than Parvuli Dei - it is a lot of work and a time commitment.  Parvuli Dei would be a cub level emblem, worked on with parents/guardians, and is in no way a prerequisite for Ad Altare Dei which is a more structured program worked on with a counselor.  While the NCCS gives the recommendation of 13-14 years old and completed sixth grade for AAD, each child is unique and that is not necessarily a hard and fast rule.  If your son is very involved in his faith, such as participating in your parish youth group, active as an altar server, attending a Catholic school, etc. he may be a candidate now.  Your diocese should have a coordinator, or your council/district may also have a religious emblem coordinator to talk to.  However, there may not be any harm in waiting.

• Upvote 1