Just got back from a 72 mile canoe trip on the Buffalo River in Arkansas with our Sea Scouts.  It was quite the experience.  It was a long drive there and a long time paddling but it was quite the experience.  We even got buzzed by a Bald Eagle.

Best part was my son's Instagram post:  "We all had a great time except for some near death experiences but it was totally worth it!😅😎"

• Upvote 2
10 hours ago, mashmaster said:

Just got back from a 72 mile canoe trip on the Buffalo River in Arkansas with our Sea Scouts.  It was quite the experience.  It was a long drive there and a long time paddling but it was quite the experience.  We even got buzzed by a Bald Eagle.

Best part was my son's Instagram post:  "We all had a great time except for some near death experiences but it was totally worth it!😅😎"

Sounds like a great time!  I wish my son's troop would do more of these "roll your own" type of adventure trips.  

How many days did it take you to paddle those 72 miles?

3 hours ago, mrkstvns said:

Sounds like a great time!  I wish my son's troop would do more of these "roll your own" type of adventure trips.  

How many days did it take you to paddle those 72 miles?

It was great.  lots of problem solving, horrible food and all.  

We were on the river for 5 days.

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, eagle90 said:

Did you go through a private outfitter or through the scout base there?

Neither, We connected through a Sea Scout ship that loaned us canoes on a trailer.  We dropped our scouts and canoes at the start, drove to the end destination and lined up a ride with an outfitter to get us to the start location.  We worked with the local Ship ahead of time on the basic logistics and route.

We put in at Pruitt Landing and ended at Buffalo Point.   You can camp on the gravel bars along the river so we paddled about 15 miles per day.  Dry bags worked very well, the kids made poor decisions on food and not fully water proofing the food.  

We survived those decisions.

11 hours ago, mashmaster said:

... the kids made poor decisions on food and not fully water proofing the food.  

We survived those decisions.

Excellent!!

I'm glad to hear that the kids had an opportunity to learn from their mistakes and grow their experience and wisdom.