Religious Letter for Eagle Rank written by a parent

15 hours ago, David CO said:

I also know a clergy member who always refuses to write anybody a letter of recommendation. He says that it is a new policy from his superiors. They don't want to be put in the difficult position of having to explain someday why one of their clergy members wrote a glowing testimonial for someone who was later accused of sexual misconduct. 

That's okay.  He can content himself with knowing that he's the kind of clergyman who would refuse to help a young parishioner as he grew up to find the cure for cancer leading to his earning the Nobel Prize.

21 minutes ago, mrkstvns said:

That's okay.  He can content himself with knowing that he's the kind of clergyman who would refuse to help a young parishioner as he grew up to find the cure for cancer leading to his earning the Nobel Prize.

I would imagine that he can content himself knowing that he is the kind of clergyman who follows the directives of his superiors. I can relate to that. As a teacher and scout leader, I have often had to follow rules and directives that I personally felt were less than helpful to my students and scouts. I think we all have.

Take, for example, the federally subsidized school lunch program. I understand the good intentions of the program, but it upsets me to tell a hungry child that he/she can't have any more food because a bureaucrat in Washington has decided that every child needs to be on a low-cal, low-fat, low-salt, high-fiber diet.

I do breakfast and lunchroom duty, and I absolutely hate turning away hungry children. It goes against my very nature. One of the few good things I have to say about BSA is that they don't require units to participate in any federally regulated food programs.

2 minutes ago, David CO said:

Take, for example, the federally subsidized school lunch program. I understand the good intentions of the program, but it upsets me to tell a hungry child that he/she can't have any more food because a bureaucrat in Washington has decided that every child needs to be on a low-cal, low-fat, low-salt, high-fiber diet.

Easy to complain about, isn't it?

Without the school lunch programs though, many disadvantages kids would find themselves on a NO-cal, NO-fat, NO-salt, NO-fiber....NO-food diet. 

1 minute ago, mrkstvns said:

Easy to complain about, isn't it?

Without the school lunch programs though, many disadvantages kids would find themselves on a NO-cal, NO-fat, NO-salt, NO-fiber....NO-food diet. 

I understand that. The problem is that about half of this food ends up in the trash can. They don't eat it. 

4 minutes ago, David CO said:

I understand that. The problem is that about half of this food ends up in the trash can. They don't eat it. 

True enough.  But encouraging kids to eat lots of grease, salt and sugar leads to obesity, diabetes, etc. 

I am thankful that I'm not one of the bureaucrats in Washington tasked with solving this kind of dilemma. A single solution that meets all goals for everyone is never easy.

20 minutes ago, mrkstvns said:

True enough.  But encouraging kids to eat lots of grease, salt and sugar leads to obesity, diabetes, etc. 

I am thankful that I'm not one of the bureaucrats in Washington tasked with solving this kind of dilemma. A single solution that meets all goals for everyone is never easy.

I'm a Health teacher. I teach the nutrition class. I can see the increasing rates of obesity, diabetes, etc. amongst my students. It is truly alarming.

A single solution that meets the needs of everyone is never easy. In fact, it is impossible. I wish the bureaucrats in Washington (and Irving) could understand that.

My point is that we all, at times, fail to meet the needs of the kids because we must follow idiotic rules and regulations set by uncaring, self-promoting bureaucrats who seem to know very little about how to run a good program. 

Edited by David CO