Camps Where SCOUTS Cook Meals

Having worked MHA I'm a bit confused that they are now using stoves on the treks....must be a new policy shift. I'll touch base with them for clarification....

The Mountain Man program at BRMC has been running now for over 20 years and was an off shoot of their High Knoll program. It's more of an enrichment program instead of high adventure, blending the Eastern long hunter era with the Mountain Man era.  There are You Tube videos of the program, but those are dated and poorly done.  

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just got back from a trek run by the summer camp we were at. It wasn't so much cooking our food (more like rehydrating) but it was a challenge that we all shared. In that respect it was similar to p

Returned from Camp Baldwin, OR couple weeks ago. I am sold on patrol cooking at summer camp. Okay yes it is harder but its better. Our troop is on the path from being 'troop method' to being patrol me

A few years back I had a chance to talk to one my 13yo scouts about switching from Patrol Method cooking to dining hall and here was his replay - No way should we switch! Patrol Method cooking fo

Posted Images

18 hours ago, le Voyageur said:

The Mountain Man program at BRMC has been running now for over 20 years and was an off shoot of their High Knoll program. It's more of an enrichment program instead of high adventure, blending the Eastern long hunter era with the Mountain Man era.  There are You Tube videos of the program, but those are dated and poorly done.  

Well, maybe the BRMC needs to hire somebody a bit more creative about promoting their camps and programs. Sounds to me like they've put a lot of work into creating a strong Mountain Man program but are just shooting themselves in the foot with a poor web site and poor videos.

You've hit the nail square on the head....spent several hours with the NCAP team last season detailing improvements...now, it's a wait and see.   On reflection concerning MHA, use of stoves, yes they do carry. They are small backpacker stoves, one per crew (9+2+1) and are used simply for making morning coffee...meals require the traditional campfire, rain or shine...the only meal the crew dose not prepare is at the end of the trek which is prepared by Base, being a Bean Hole supper.....

Edited by le Voyageur
  • Thanks 1
  • 6 months later...
On 9/23/2019 at 8:42 AM, mrkstvns said:

Many thanks to all the scouters who posted suggestions for camps to add to the list and for those who posted comments about how camps implement their "Patrol Cooking".  I searched out the web sites for all camps offering some level of "patrol cooking" and foiund quite a lot of variability, from camps doing an outstanding job and fully embracing the patrol method, to camps that do little more than provide some instant oatmeal and tell scouts to heat their own water.  I read your comemnts....I read the web pages....I looked on other scouting forums....I downloaded the Leader Guides for all of these camps.  

Camps that do offer patrol cooking didn't make "the best" cut for various reasons. Some had patrol cooking in only a couple sites and only by special request. Some on some days of the week, but not others. Some required troops to bring their own food (which is just plain lame). Some offered patrol cooking for a meal or two per day, but otherwise pushed scouts to their mess hall. Some did not offer real cooking at all, just mixes or cold sandwiches (which is also totally lame).   

All this info led me to a picture of which BSA camps are truly THE BEST for troops who want Patrol Cooking...

SIX BEST BSA SUMMER CAMPS FOR TROOPS EMBRACING PATROL METHOD:

Troops that fully embrace the Patrol Method and want a high-quality summer camp experience should seek out these 7 camps...

• Camp Dietler (CO)
  • Camp Freeland Leslie (WI)
  • Camp Bell (NH)
  • Camp Liberty (PA)
  • Camp Sabbatis (NY)
  • Camp Baldwin (OR)
  • Voyageur at Many Point Scout Camp (MN)

BSA SCOUT CAMPS OFFERING SOME LEVEL OF "PATROL COOKING"

Troops that want some level of "cooking" during their summer camp experience should look into these camps (quality may vary):

Unfortunately Camp Dietler has been shuttered for the 2020 season.  There is hope for a revival in a year or two. Slow registration numbers, increasing costs, and then Covid-19.  😞