Sandwiches make for easy campout meals, but when you turn your sandwich into a panini, it's elevated to  a masterpiece of outdoor culinary art.  

The deli across the street from my office has a fancy schmancy panini press that they use to cook their paninis, but a scout can easily achieve the same effect with an appropriate rock. Look for a rock that's fairly flat, roughly sandwich sized, and about 5 pounds in weight.

INGREDIENTS:

• Loaves of italian bread (or French bread)
  • Fresh mozzarella cheese
  • Sliced salami and pepperoni
  • Pesto sauce
  • Roast red peppers or sun dried tomatoes
  • Olive oil

INSTRUCTIONS
Slice bread into thick slices.  Spread pesto sauce on bread and layer with slices of salami, pepperoni and mozzarella. Top with red peppers and/or sun dried tomatoes.  Close up sandwich with top slice of bread. Coat bread with a layer of olive oil.  Lay a sheet of aluminum foil over cooking grate or grill and set sandwich on it.  wrap rock in aluminum foil and set it on top of sandwich.  When bottom of sandwich is an appetizing golden brown color, flip it over and do the other side (also with rock on top of sandwich). 

Enjoy the tastiest deli-fresh panini you ever tasted on a campout!

• Upvote 1

Foccacia is my bread of choice for panini. It's already well-oiled, flavorful, and packs easily.

I'm definitely trying the rock method the next opportunity I have.

• Thanks 1