Cub Scouts (and even some Boy Scouts) love sticking things in the fire. Instead of constantly admonishing them to stop playing around the fire, give them something useful to do --- like cook their own dinner.  Nothing is easier to do on a campfire than roasting hot dogs and it's no big deal to up the game just slightly by making pigs in blankets!

INGREDIENTS:

• 1 package of good quality hot dogs (Boars Head, Hebrew National, or maybe Johnsonville Bedda Chedda)
  • 1 tube Pillsbury Crescent Roll dough
  • Ketchup and mustard to taste

DIRECTIONS

1. Separate the triangles of crescent roll dough.
  2. Wrap a triangle of dough around a hot dog.
  3. Skewer the hot dog on a long-handled skewer.
  4. Let each scout roast his own pig in a blanket.  This works best by keeping the pig a bit away from the flames so that it browns without burning.  When the bread dough is nicely brown, you're ready to eat!

Language note: where Mrs Q comes from rolled cabbage was called pigs in blankets. No idea what they called the hot dog treat, but the essential brand for the region has become Smith's. My father-law (God rest him) insisted that there be no grilling without them. They eventually made their way south to Pittsburgh, which made our lives much easier.

I definitely like the grill-your-own idea. I'd up the ante and have them make the dough from biscuit mix. Patrols who don't like hotdogs can make a bread bowl and put stew in it.

1 hour ago, qwazse said:

Language note: where Mrs Q comes from rolled cabbage was called pigs in blankets. No idea what they called the hot dog treat, but the essential brand for the region has become Smith's. My father-law (God rest him) insisted that there be no grilling without them. They eventually made their way south to Pittsburgh, which made our lives much easier.

Well, if Mrs Q is going to hijack the "Pigs in Blankets" moniker for her cabbage rolls, I hope she will at least have the decency to skewer them and cook them over a campfire like any self-respecting Boy Scout would...

2 hours ago, mrkstvns said:

Well, if Mrs Q is going to hijack the "Pigs in Blankets" moniker for her cabbage rolls, I hope she will at least have the decency to skewer them and cook them over a campfire like any self-respecting Boy Scout would...

As proud as she is of her kids coming up through scouting, she is no self-respecting Boy Scout. As for decency ... well ... her choice of mate has most folks wondering most days!

However, I like your challenge. The Arab in me salivating for the chance to burn down some coals and make something like a kofta kebab with a cabbage wrap and brushed-on marinara. If it ever happens, I'll share the results.