National Annual Meeting 2019: Rex Tillerson Speech

Apologies, I have been trying to get Mr. Tillerson's full speech from the National Annual Meeting. Please post if you have it. Thanks. RS

Tillerson served as the keynote speaker at the organization's "Duty to God" breakfast. The meeting serves as the organization's annual "shareholders meeting" for staff and volunteers.

...Without pointing fingers at the current commander-in-chief, he also discussed the current state of politics and democracy in the U.S. Tillerson openly questioned, "how did our nation of fellow Americans become so polarized, and how do we return to civility and respectfulness towards one another?" He said that he observed a "growing crisis in ethics and integrity" in American democracy. 

..That led to a long discussion on "truthfulness." 

..Tillerson also referenced the "better angels of our nature" * twice in his speech. 

Source:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/tillerson-jokes-at-boy-scouts-meeting-that-god-sent-him-home-from-state-post-to-save-his-life/

* A reference to Abraham Lincoln's first inaugural address?

“We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection. The mystic chords of memory will swell when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature.”

Food for thought for America and Scouting.

In case anyone is interested, Tillerson's words employed the title of a book by Steven Pinker (2011) entitled, "The Better Angels of Our Nature". The book describes the historical decline of violence and possible reasons for this. Here is a testimonial from Bill Gates: “If I could give each of you a graduation present, it would be this—the most inspiring book I've ever read."—Bill Gates (May, 2017)

In case anyone is interested. It's a thoughtful book. Pinker has some other titles that are worth considering as well.

• Thanks 1