Change in Boy Scout joining requirements

Boleta,

Thanks for the flashback. My last MB that I earned for Eagle was Lifesaving and it took me 12 months to do it. Just as in your case, as a 5 ft., 110 lb 14 year old, I just physically could not wrestle a 170 lb lifeguard in the water into a rescue hold and perform the in water save requirement at summer camp that year and finished with a partial. A year later, 4 inches taller, 15 lbs heavier and 12 monthes of distance running and weight training in JV Track and Field, it was no problem. Of course that was back in "Good Ole Days" of scouting when we stalked, signaled, made fires, had canvas tents, wrestled bears, yada, yada, yada.

Just to be relevant to the thread, I tend to agree with the age floors the new requirements have.

SA

I caught that change through our Council newsletter. I had the thought at the time, but never followed up on it - "Who is supposed to police this?"

Will the council records cause an application to kick out, or is it up to the Troop to keep an application from being turned in? And if one is missed, how does it get corrected? And if not corrected, will it affect a boy at some point during his advancement process?

Pleas don't misconstrue. I think the low limit is a good one. But what is the net effect?

Mark

Yes, Mark, when a Scout's birthdate is entered into ScoutNet it will kick it out if he isn't old enough. The software recognized when the "Earned Arrow of Light" or "Completed Fifth Grade" box is checked. I've had my DE call me with applications that have been kicked back, usually just a typo or something similar.

PS to Rooster -- I'm with you on the young Eagle issue. I earned mine at 13 1/2 and feel like I've had a pretty successful Scouting career so far.

Where did the information come from about the change in age requirement? I have seen nothing about it and professionals I have asked know nothing about it. Is there some place or document where we can see this new requirement?

Another effect of young advancers and achievers is motivating the older boy who is stagnant in his advancement. We had a 16 year old First Class who got the lead out when his 12 year old brother got First Class! This older boy was one of our best campers; always enthusiastic and a fun kid to be around. He just wasn't interested in advancement until his brother joined. He and brother get back from Philmont today. He has completed his Eagle project, has one MB for Eagle left (almost done), and turns 18 on August 7!!

But I still strongly favor the age limit. The 9 year old should be a Webelos for a year or 2.(This message has been edited by boleta)

In response to the questions about where the information may be found:

See http://usscouts.org/advance/boyscout/bsrank1.html

This is the web site of the U.S. Scouting Service Project, an unofficial site though I think it is well-respected on the Internet and generally regarded as having correct, verified information.

The change is in requirement 1 on that page but there is also a note above all the requirements in blue, stating:

Effective May 15, 2004, Requirement 1 will be changed, as shown below, to establish a minimum age of 10 years old for all new Boy Scouts

I looked on the official BSA web site for this but didn't see anything other than a reference that Boy Scouts is for "11 to 17 year old boys" which obviously leaves out some of the details. I also looked at the application to join a troop which is on the official site, but it is still the old version.