BSA retroactively bestows 4 Eagle Palms to Scout

a 101 year old scout Duane Greenfield who earned his Eagle in 1935 at age 17.

"There are very few Eagles that earn full palms," said Scout Executive Tom Smotherman, who is head of the Sioux Council of the Boy Scouts of America and presented Greenfield with his awards.

Although palms were not available at the time Greenfield was a Boy Scout, the organization recently decided to retroactively bestow the palms on former Scouts who did the work to merit them, Smotherman said.

"It's simply the right thing to do," he said.

One of Greenfield's favorite stories from his time in the Scouts was the time he and some friends took a 14-mile hike to earn a badge. During the hike, the boys filled their canteens with water, only to realize later that the stream they had used was choked with dead frogs. He also reflected on the time his troop took a road trip to Madison and jumped from moving horse-drawn carts to grab watermelons growing in a nearby field before scrambling back on.

"There was always something new," Greenfield said of his time in Boy Scouts. "There was a lot of stuff that came up that we didn't cover in school."

More details at source:

https://www.argusleader.com/story/news/2019/06/01/sioux-falls-man-boy-scout-award-84-years-after-earning-his-eagle-scout-rank-duane-greenfield/1313509001/

So does this mean insta-palms can be conferred on any scout who had their EBoR prior to Aug 1, 2017?

This was basically my suggestion at the time:

If a gaffer earned five more MBs than needed for his Eagle awarded in 1926, I'm sure the scouts now in his troop would love to order him an insta-Bronze in exchange for a few good stories!

I dunno. Never cared much for redundant awards . Some of us gaffers have outlived our old troops, but we will tell stories to any who will listen. Save your palms to applaud. 

Now have I told you the story of how my Philmont buddy was eaten by a bear.... :D

• Haha 1