Planning for Next Year {special awards}

This year we had one cub earn s STEM NOVA award. We ran it as a trial basis. I took the training to become the pack’s counselor for these.   Now lots of parents want to know how their cub can earn this award next year.

I’m also the pack’s religious emblem adult - I facilitate the sessions for Protestant children and process paperwork for the other religions if they participate. 

Trying to plan next year out - as my own children are nearly adults - I’m asking parents of Cub age kiddos here advice on this question:

Background: Pack Meetings are 1 time a month and typically have a guest speaker or themed event (project or activity based). Most of our dens meet 2 times a month (some 3) in the evenings. 

Question:  What if I planned a meeting on Sunday Afternoon for 1/2-1 hour once a month for STEM meeting and followed up with a Religious Emblem Class afterwards for about and hour.  Would that completely fry young families? 

Saturdays are kinda out since Sports are usually all day when you have more than one kid in your family. And then there’s the birthday parties in afternoons. It makes 2 night campouts a big challenge for us

On 6/2/2019 at 7:55 AM, Momleader said:

Question:  What if I planned a meeting on Sunday Afternoon for 1/2-1 hour once a month for STEM meeting and followed up with a Religious Emblem Class afterwards for about and hour.  Would that completely fry young families? 

I would suggest doing the STEM on a different day than you do your Religious Emblems and definitely allow more than 1/2 - 1 hour once a month. . 

There are usually about 4 elements of a typical NOVA award for Cubs. Two of them are easily done in a meeting setting (watch videos / discuss, and complete an Adventure), but 2 are best done by getting out and going somewhere (typically an experiment/investigation and a field trip to go see where relevant science is done).