Definitions:   If the SM is THE SM, then he is a registered Scouter, has taken the required training, and is up to date in his dues (unit pays that?). If not....

If the ASM's are all up to date and registered and trained, then any of them is "Qualified" to be THE SM. 

If the ASMs are in agreement (sounds like it from this reporter), then they should form an Ad Hoc Committee to collect/document/write down the problems. Present these to the CO and IH and then as a sort of "intervention", as a group to the present SM.   He can either accept the truth and resign (he ain't gonna change) or he can realize he is going to be replaced and retired with the appropriate "thank yous". 

Edited by SSScout
  • Like 1
On 6/2/2019 at 10:12 PM, John-in-KC said:

I’d be careful of @SSScout‘s suggestion. I’ve seen a few toxic/vindictive leaders along the trail. Some of them had the ability to make other folks lives outside of Scouting miserable

Yep...   A Scout is Brave....   It all depends on how untenable the situation is, and whether one either transfers out or tries to improve things where one is. 

11 hours ago, SSScout said:

Yep...   A Scout is Brave....   It all depends on how untenable the situation is, and whether one either transfers out or tries to improve things where one is. 

I remember cigarette commercials back in the 70s featuring people with black eyes saying, "I'd rather fight than switch."

I don't see many scouters with black eyes....

Yea - this is the part of Scouting that no amount of BSA training prepares you for.  How to deal with people and resolve signficnant conflicts like this.  

I'm reminded of something my mother told me a whlie back - "sometimes you just have to break things".  Meaning - sometimes a bit of conflict and pressure is what is needed.  

1 hour ago, ParkMan said:

Yea - this is the part of Scouting that no amount of BSA training prepares you for.  How to deal with people and resolve signficnant conflicts like this.  

I'm reminded of something my mother told me a whlie back - "sometimes you just have to break things".  Meaning - sometimes a bit of conflict and pressure is what is needed.  

Reminds me of the Godfather...

"No more meetin's, no more discussions, ... we go to the mattresses."