Camp Program Options

Does your camp have any program options that aren't usually offered at scout camps that you Unit enjoys? For example, my Camp offers adventure day on Wednesday where scouts can go on a hike, float trip, or bike trip. The program is designed so there are no classes this day so everybody has a chances to go on a trip off the property.

• 2 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, Jameson76 said:

One camp we go to has an off camp option on Friday.  We do a troop event to a local natural area and hike in and swim at a waterfall.

Hopefully, they swim at the bottom of the waterfall. :eek:

I can highly recommend Camp Rainey Mountain's Whitewater KR program. Eagle son and his Eagle best friend did this camp as their last ever youth summer camp. The CRM staff was awesome in helping two Mitten State Eagle Scouts fit in with mostly southern campers. They really made the boys feel special for travelling such a distance to camp. Believe it or not they weren't the farthest away campers. There were scouts from Texas and Florida that traveled further than they did.

The guys raved about how great the rafting was and how much fun they had. There only complaint was the quality of the food. An overall great last summer camp.

The staff was also great to me as I hung out and volunteered at the CRM camp proper. The whitewater camp is held off site.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Most interesting program I have seen was at a camp I worked at. This camp offered rappelling,  or absailing as they called it, off the White Cliffs of Dover. They also had a homemade raft race in the English Channel for the camp. That water is cold.

I've heard lots of raves about the "rugged" programs offered by Camp Emerald Bay, which is located on Catalina Island off the coast of California and is operated by Western Los Angeles Council. They have SEVERAL programs for scouts who want to advance their scuba diving skills and their sailing program offers options to go "above and beyond" the simplistic basics of the Smallboat Sailing merit badge, their sailboat fleet includes keelboats so boys can get a chance to actually experience what it feels like to do genuine coastal sailing (though they do offer lightweight merit badge programs too).

Cool location, meaningful programs....lots to like about Emerald Bay.
See:   http://campemeraldbay.org/