Uniform for parade 90 degrees

Sorry - I dont understand the question.  Why wouldn't they be allowed to be in shorts?  As long as they are in uniform and looking sharp I dont care.  In fact - at 90 degrees I would expect my Scouts to be in uniform shorts.

• Upvote 1

My sons troop leadership requires long pants at all courts of honor, ceremonies & parades... so I was told. Although, only myself and 1 other new parent of a crossover scout were told this. All communication about the parade has just started Class A uniform - no specifics.

To my mind,  Class A uniform shorts are an approved BSA uniform. Just wondering if other units allow shorts during a parade.

Hydration.   My high school band uniform was worsted wool. We had no "seasonal"  uniform.  Dry clean after every parade in the summer months.   Sweat and sweat.  Long cotton or nylon pants aren't a problem.  

Uniform means "uniform"  so the Scouts at least in the color guard should all be uniformed the same.  Same long pants, same type of Scout shorts,  same caps,  same socks, same type of shoe/boot.  

• Upvote 1

Ditto @SSScout. When my HS band switched to a short sleeve summer uniform, all I noticed was that there were fewer pockets with stashes of change. I had to actually think about bringing $$ for the concession.

That said, I don't own uniform pants. I wear standard issue canvas shorts ... even to a snowy Scout Sunday. (Someone has to remind everyone that summer camp is fast approaching.)

"Pockets?  You had pockets?"    Our West Point style shorty jackets had ONE chest area pocket, as I remember.  None in the trou.  

And these were umpteen years old when we were in them.  We were issued our particular band uniform because it was closest to our size, our mom(s) (!) were  instructed to NOT cut any material, but ONLY slit stitching and resew as appropriate.  Suspender buttons.... 

Edited by SSScout

So after all of the debating and back and forth with the new scout parents... we show up and the oldest, most experienced scout was there in shorts along with his leader parents in shorts 🙃

I dont think I ever saw a group of scouts unzip their convertible pants so fast 🤣.

Thanks everyone!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

You mean you people actually use the zip-off parts?!?

:laugh:

I have to chuckle a bit; around here in sunny SoCal I never see the full long uniform pants being worn. Even rarer are long sleeves. Out here it's all short sleeves, short pants, and low-cut socks. The nice thing about the BSA uniform is that, even with a group of Scouts wearing a different assortment of garment lengths, they still look uniform. Personally I'm grateful I can avoid wearing long pants or sleeves all together. :cool:

• Haha 1