Does anyone have any campfire recipes to share. It's beena long time since I has in Scouting and don't remember much about how we cooked things on an open fire or with coals. The brain injury didn't help the mempry either. Thanks Jim

I also have a recipe question.

Anyone know of any frontier style meals? For example Hardtack Bread. I am looking for something that will not spoil and can be thrown in a back pack for a weekend. Soldiers in the Civil War were gives rations of Hardtack bread because it would not spoil and could take a beating. I will be cooking up a batch soon to give it a try.

So anything that will not spoil and can withstand a scouts backpack?

Here is an easy yet tasty recipe, called Cannonballs. First you take a large onion and hollow it out, put in some season ground beef, mushrooms, and sliced peppers in each hollowed out half of the onion. Put the two ends together and wrap it tight in aluminum foil, put in the outer edge of the fire, depending on the heat about 10-15 min. Top it off with a dutch oven cobbler ( cake mix and a couple large cans of your favorite fruit), your kids will love it.

• 2 months later...

Hardtack is just dried out bread, usually something akin to sourdough. Jerky is dried meat of some variety, sometimes spiced and sometimes plain. Use dried fruits and nuts for variety.

You can build a box oven using a wine box (double cardboard sides with lid still attached), heavy duty aluminum foil with a rack small enough to fit the interior, and a bit of duct tape. Line interior of box well with foil and run wires through sides to hold the rack in place about half-way up. There are instructions for this in some of the handbooks & field guides - I got my instruction sheet from the local Girl Scout shop when I was a leader trainer for GSA about 12 years ago.

For heat source - Using a pie pan filled with about a half inch of sand, put your hot coals under the rack. The sand keeps the foil from melting and the heat from burning the box.

Going by a rule of thumb of 50 degrees per charcoal briquet + 1, figure out how many you need to get the temperature you want - 350 degrees would be 7 briquettes plus one (8) to account for a little draft from the box flap lid. Pour your cake batter or brownie dough (or even bread) into a pan that will fit the rack and bake until a pick comes out clean - might be a little longer than it takes in the oven at home.

Any cookbook recipe can be adapted to dutch oven or box oven if you want to take the time to experiment and practice. Be sure you line your dutch oven with foil so you cut down on cleaning time and keep the iron from rusting.

From my readings Hardtack was not exactly a delicacy. People broke teeth eating that stuff. You might consider Logan Bread. It is great for backpacking as it is calorie dense and non-perishable. A Google search will give many recipes. Here is the recipe from GORP.

Logan Bread

Combine and stir well:

1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour

1 1/2 cups unbleached white flour

1 1/4 cups rolled oats

1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

1 teaspoon salt

1/4 cup powdered milk

2/3 cup nuts

1 cup raisins

In another bowl, stir well:

3/4 cup brown sugar

1/2 cup honey

1/4 cup molasses

3 eggs

1 cup margarine

1/2 cup oil

Add sugar mixture to flour mixture, stirring thoroughly. Pour into two 9-by-9-inch greased cake pans and bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until done. Let bread cool; slice; and store in the refrigerator or freezer. Makes 36 bars. (Recipe from Good Food for Camp and Trail.)

ScouterJoe