Recommendations for canister stove

As you some of you folks know, I am in a new troop. Old troop had no problems with alcohol stoves, and my oldest carried one on the AT 2 years ago and I did last year. I love mine and have had 0 issues with it. While the troop don't mind me using one, they do not want the Scouts using one.

As for my Whisperlite, it has been unreliable. Very first camp out I try to use it on, and a seal busted causing a leak. And it didn't work on a second camp out. That was when I was introduced to alcohol stoved.

It seems as if the preferred stove is a canister stove any recommendations? Not looking into a system like the Jetboil, and needs to be affordable. My wife is going to kill me when she finds out I need another stove. :)

Edited by RememberSchiff
Reconendations replaced with Recommendations :)

The "pocket rocket" type can be found cheaply. They are quite light, and easy to screw on to the canister. There are many name-brands like Primus, MSR which cost  $20 - $100. The off-brand chinese knock-offs are less than $20. You get what you pay for.

• Upvote 1

Also - so that it has been said....You do know that alcohol stoves are specifically addressed in the G2SS, right?

Chemical fuels not recommended—Unleaded gasoline; liquid alcohol fuels, including isopropyl alcohol, denatured ethyl alcohol, and ethanol; and other flammable chemicals that are not in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions for chemical-fueled equipment

[...]

Prohibited chemical-fueled equipment—Equipment that is handcrafted, homemade, modified, or installed beyond the manufacturer’s stated design limitations or use. Examples include alcohol-burning “can” stoves, smudge pots, improperly installed heaters, and propane burners with their regulators removed.

36 minutes ago, DuctTape said:

The "pocket rocket" type can be found cheaply. They are quite light, and easy to screw on to the canister. There are many name-brands like Primus, MSR which cost  $20 - $100. The off-brand chinese knock-offs are less than $20. You get what you pay for.

The Chinese knock off is what I am worried about. I am willing to wait and save up for good equipment. I don't like to keep buying something over and over. One reason why I am upset abut the stove. This will #3.

35 minutes ago, 69RoadRunner said:

Normal backpacking. I am not familiar with that brand, but worth looking into with 84% 4+ stars

7 minutes ago, jjlash said:

Also - so that it has been said....You do know that alcohol stoves are specifically addressed in the G2SS, right?

Yes I know that liquid alcohol fuels are not recommended, and "Equipment that is handcrafted, homemade....Examples include alcohol-burning “can” stoves...." are prohibited. That is why I bought one alcohol stove and received a 2nd one for a Christmas present. Both are manufactured by companies. Although I have made 2 alcohol stoves, I do not bring them to Scouts BSA camp outs.

• Upvote 2
On 5/22/2019 at 1:31 PM, Eagle94-A1 said:

As you some of you folks know, I am in a new troop. Old troop had no problems with alcohol stoves, and my oldest carried one on the AT 2 years ago and I did last year. I love mine and have had 0 issues with it. While the troop don't mind me using one, they do not want the Scouts using one.

As for my Whisperlite, it has been unreliable. Very first camp out I try to use it on, and a seal busted causing a leak. And it didn't work on a second camp out. That was when I was introduced to alcohol stoved.

It seems as if the preferred stove is a canister stove any recommendations? Not looking into a system like the Jetboil, and needs to be affordable. My wife is going to kill me when she finds out I need another stove. :)

One option is to get a cheapie chinese canister stove from Amazon. You can usually find them for around $10 and they are great for boiling water.  Or you can go just a bit more extravagant, and get something like a Primus Classic trail stove for around $20.  With it, you can adjust the flame somewhat, and I could use it for steambaking, which requires a low boil.  It's a bit heavier than other choices (8 oz vs. 3-4 oz for other choices), but as I said, it adjusts rather well.  I have both the cheapie, and the Primus Classic, as well as a jetboil imitator.  All have their uses, but if I were to have to just use one, I'd probably go for the Primus. It's more stable and much better built (it's rugged) than the cheapie, and more versatile than either the cheapie or the Jetboil-itator.  

The Primus Classic Trail Stove:

https://www.amazon.com/d/Camping-Backpacking-Stoves/Primus-P-224383-Classic-Trail-Stove/B000RHCOP0

I've also seen it on walmart.com for a bit cheaper.  

Edited by perdidochas
  • Upvote 1

:rolleyes:The scout shop carries Primus Classics. That way, you can tell Mrs. E94-A1 that you are going to get a new council patch or pick up awards for the troop. If you accidentally come back with a stove ... well at least it wasn't a new motorcycle.

As I mentioned earlier, it is possible to completely disassemble the primus for easy cleaning. You metal-workers can make different shaped pot mountings and reassemble them quite nicely. I haven't done that yet, but one of these days I'll hit the scrap metal pile and come up with some novel configuration.

The only downside is that butane is not quite the four season fuel that it claims to be. Well, at least not four WPa seasons which include a fair share of very wet very cold.

Looks like the stove will need to wait. Mrs. Eagle94-A1 was NOT happy in the least. this would be my 4th backpacking stove (6th if you include the homemade ones i do NOT use on Scout trips) and she does not see a need for yet another stove. The only way I could get it was to use a gift card I had. WELL the local place I have a card does not carry stoves anymore, just the canisters. Oh well.

• Sad 1

I carry a Pocket Rocket 2 kit, that comes with the burner itself, a 3/4 liter anodized al pot, measuring cup, and pot lifter.  I added a stabilizing base for the canister.  Not only does it boil water really fast, but is designed to hold a 4 oz. fuel canister along with the stove, lifter and an igniter.

A little more expensive that some ot the alternatives, but being solid and reliable is more important.  As you stated earlier, don't want to have to keep replacing a stove, especially one that dies in the middle of a trek.

Just remember with whichever one you choose, if you are camping and it's below about 50 degrees at night, take your fuel canister to bed with you and keep it inside your sleeping bag.  Makes it much easier to get it up and burning for the morning coffee/tea.

• 1 month later...
13 hours ago, Terasec said:

I have had good experience with coleman peak 1

I have a rather old version of that stove. If anyone wants it let me know. I'm cleaning out my garage. I haven't tried it in about 2 decades but will if someone is interested.