Why are Cub Scout uniforms and universal clothing items?

I agree...when I was a Cub in the early 60s, one uniform for all...the only thing that changed was the rank badges and when one became a Webelos, the "W" diamond replaced the den number on the right sleeve.  It was a serious goal and right of passage to finally be able to discard that blue uniform for a brand new green Scout uniform of the Tenderfoot.  Is it a by-product of the "everyone is special and deserves recognition" attitude?  "Oh, you've survived another year, now you get a new necker, belt buckle and hat!"

9 hours ago, fred8033 said:

Guilty.  I like their feel and often wear them even outside scouting.  I always buy extra every time they are on sale.  

I'm very critical of the uniform, but the socks are a weakness.  

The low cut uniform socks are very comfortable.  I also wear them most days.

When camping/backpacking, etc., it is always the Thorlos wool socks.

On 7/21/2019 at 12:15 AM, fred8033 said:

Guilty.  I like their feel and often wear them even outside scouting.  I always buy extra every time they are on sale.  

I'm very critical of the uniform, but the socks are a weakness.  

let me change that, I have yet to see Cub Scouts buy the socks in my pack.  Troop and webelos, yes.

I have a few pairs myself,  Same idea, anytime on sale.

I still have my red top pair from the late 90's when I was a scout.  Only have 1 out of 5 pairs left of those.

Agreed on the magic of Scout socks - they're the most comfortable, well-made part of the whole uniform! All it took for me to get all the boys (in both our pack and troop) converted to the socks was to let each boy try them on for a few minutes - now they all own them, every cub and boy scout, and I see them worn not only at Scouts, but at school, outside activities, and even church! 

I haven't bought a pair of the red-tops yet, but I suspect they'll find a way into my Scout wardrobe soon enough. :rolleyes: