Merit badge sash

@Samuel, many moons ago, I recall scouts could sew MBs on the front and back.

Once the sash is full, I'm not sure.  I've seen photos of hybrid sashes, two or perhaps more tailored together.

I don't think there is a right answer given the rarity of the situation.  Truly unchartered territory....

1 hour ago, Cleveland Rocks said:

There is an answer. Guide to Awards and Insignia, page 35:

"Merit Badges may be worn on the front and back of the sash."

https://filestore.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/33066/33066_Scouts_BSA_Insignia_WEB.pdf

Also:  "Scouts may wear only one merit badge sash at a time. A merit badge sash is never worn on the belt" and "Temporary patches may only be worn on the back of the sash. The merit badge sash and the Order of the Arrow sash may not be worn at the same time".

• Upvote 1

Rules and procedures never can address all cases though back of the sash is a reasonable solution and explicitly stated.  

From all the uniforming violations I've seen, I think the best answer is make it look sharp and clean.  Sashes have been sewed double wide and lengthened.  Or use the back.  As long as it looks sharp and respectable, no one should complain.  

17 hours ago, fred8033 said:

From all the uniforming violations I've seen, I think the best answer is make it look sharp and clean.  Sashes have been sewed double wide and lengthened.  Or use the back.  As long as it looks sharp and respectable, no one should complain.  

Agreed.  

Even though the rules state that only 1 merit badge sash should be worn at a time, the double-wide approach really looks dorky compared to the scouts who blow off the rule and just wear 2 sashes, bandolier style. It's over the top, but at least it kind of looks symmetrical instead of looking like a blanket.

image.png.ed03da681c4255821ae9f37d64cec5ba.png

5 hours ago, mrkstvns said:

Agreed.  

Even though the rules state that only 1 merit badge sash should be worn at a time, the double-wide approach really looks dorky compared to the scouts who blow off the rule and just wear 2 sashes, bandolier style. It's over the top, but at least it kind of looks symmetrical instead of looking like a blanket.

It looks weird, also not to make poke fun a teenager, but what does he have on his right shoulder? They look like like brass stars.. 

32 minutes ago, Sentinel947 said:

It looks weird, also not to make poke fun a teenager, but what does he have on his right shoulder? They look like like brass stars.. 

I was going to say the sash pin, but those look like Eagle Palms to me.

Just thinking out load here, but wouldn't it be better for a Scout to wear the uniform as proscribed and simply wear as many merit badges as possible on it?  

I mean no disrespect, but isn't vioating the uniform rules to wear two sashes (whether double wide, one on top of each other, or bandolier) an example of a Scout breaking the rules for their own self interest?  i.e., "I know that the unform rule says one sash, but I earned these awards and so I think I'm entitled to do it." 

The young man in the photo must not be taking advantage of the back of his sashes for badges. When my son was in Scouts we got 58 (rows of 3 until the point, then 2 or 1 in a row) badges on the front of his sash. By extrapolation a large sized sash (personally I feel these are the only ones that should be sold, but that's another topic) can fit 116 badges and still leave a strip at the top of the shoulder for a sash pin.

12 hours ago, ParkMan said:

Just thinking out load here, but wouldn't it be better for a Scout to wear the uniform as proscribed and simply wear as many merit badges as possible on it?  

I mean no disrespect, but isn't violating the uniform rules to wear two sashes (whether double wide, one on top of each other, or bandolier) an example of a Scout breaking the rules for their own self interest?  i.e., "I know that the uniform rule says one sash, but I earned these awards and so I think I'm entitled to do it." 

"simply wear as many ... as possible" (that fit) ... I've many times seen adult leaders do uniforming checks but then be wearing four or five rows of square knot awards ... even though the adult leader uniform inspection checklist says the world crest needs to be centered between left shoulder seam and the top of the pocket.  Depending on shirt size, many leaders should only be wearing two rows of square knots and not four or five.  Shouldn't we correct our most experienced scouters first?  

Our scouts were recently doing a ceremony picture.  I watched and kept my mouth shut.  It was their picture and they were driving it.  Yes, they were wearing both MB and OA sashes concurrently and one over each shoulder.  I would have preferred just the MB sash or with the OA sash folded over their belt.  But to be honest, as long as they were clean cut and looking sharp, I'm going to let it be their picture. 

Anything beyond that is nit picking and taking away from their experience.

1 hour ago, fred8033 said:

....  Depending on shirt size, many leaders should only be wearing two rows of square knots and not four or five.  Shouldn't we correct our most experienced scouters first?  

Our scouts were recently doing a ceremony picture.  I watched and kept my mouth shut.  It was their picture and they were driving it.  Yes, they were wearing both MB and OA sashes concurrently and one over each shoulder.  I would have preferred just the MB sash or with the OA sash folded over their belt.  But to be honest, as long as they were clean cut and looking sharp, I'm going to let it be their picture. 

Anything beyond that is nit picking and taking away from their experience.

Just had this discussion with some scouts in my Jambo troop. One had experienced such nit-picking at NAOC. I gave him a suggested a frank, but respectful, reply. (If any you Uniform Police hear something that sounds like it came from a stranger on the internet, drop me a line. I'll let you know if it was my suggestion.)

I think BSA botched it by declaring nonstandard the use of belts sash racks for convenient storage and display of extra regalia. If it had allowed it, then boys would be more likely to keep both sashes at the ready, only wearing one or the other over the shoulder as needed.

P.S. - the belt sash rack this would also resolve the crowded MB problem. If a scout wanted to display them all, there would be a specific way to wear the extra sash.

Edited by qwazse

I don't really care if a Scout wears one sash or two.  They could wear an orange uniform for all I care.  What's important is the big picture.

However, as we get into these topics, as a community we seem to take a wierd stance on these things.  In the past week, I've commented on two topics.  This one and the one on female scouts getting credit for past work.  In the other topic, there was a decided group of Scouters who thought less of a teenager because she wanted to get credit for her Scouting experience as an "unofficial scout".  She was deemed to not be Eagle worthy because Eagle quality people would never put their own needs ahead of others.  

Yet, in this topic, we seem to have no problem saying - feel free to break the uniform rules and show off your 100+ merit badges.

As Scouters, I simply think we need to be consistent.  If you've got an Eagle with 100+ merit badges that wants to run around with two sashes, shouldn't a friendly Scouter take him aside and say "you're blantatnly showing off here - as an Eagle Scout you ought to set a better example."

If we want to respect that each Scout's journey is different and that they are welcome to some moments of personal pride, I've got no problem.  Just seems that we as Scouters ought to be consistent.  

5 minutes ago, ParkMan said:

If we want to respect that each Scout's journey is different and that they are welcome to some moments of personal pride, I've got no problem.  Just seems that we as Scouters ought to be consistent.

I've been consistent. I haven't responded to either thread. Personally, I'd rather see the MB patches be small enough that 21 can fit on a uniform and then there's no need for a sash. But it is what it is and isn't worth the argument. Same applies to the other thread.