Baloo Training

Well, I made it, and they didn't make any noise about turning me away! LOL!

They actually had a fair amount of combined training. We spent the morning and through lunch with the people there for IOLS and then broke out into separate groups for the afternoon. My understanding is the SMS training (which I've already had) began the evening before. It was held at the hosting district's Camporee. 

I can't say I learned a lot I didn't already know, but what do you do? I do understand why it's important to ensure someone on every campout knows how to put together a first aid kit at least.

Edited by Liz
22 hours ago, SSScout said:

Every Council/District training committee needs to consider, the BALOO and IOLS curriculum are VERY similar. Almost identical.   Why not combine them , with some Cub philosophy sections as necessary.   It works for us....  

I only wish "they" had approved the idea of the SMS folks receiving the BALOO cert too.  Why couldn't a ASM accompany a Cub Pack camping? 

Though IOLS and BALOO cover many similar topics, if they are done properly they are not almost identical.  They are (should be) very different in the depth of the information and in the approach.  BALOO is training for Cub Scout adults to plan and carry out a pack/family campout.  While IOLS is about the Scout leaders being able to guide their Scouts in planning and carrying out a patrol campout. 

Part of the learning for Scout leaders should be for them to have an experience similar to what their new Scouts will have - being part of a patrol, with people you may or may not know, learning the new skills (and maybe struggling with them a bit), choosing their own campsite, setting up camp, planning and preparing their own meals, doing all this under the "supervision" of a Troop Guide.  AND - the level of camping skills and the camping rules are quite different between Cubs and Scouts.

In my council, we run IOLS and BALOO concurrently but the only thing we overlap is campfire program and cracker barrel.

Agree with jjlash.  BALOO and IOLS are not necessarily one and the same.

When I did BALOO, it was a few hours, mostly classroom, and definitely centered on family camping.

IOLS was centered around the outdoor skills that a scout needs for Tenderfoot through First Class advancement:  knots, first aid, map and compass, knife and axe, cooking ---- basically everything that a SM or ASM will be asked to sign off for a scout over his first year or two in a troop. The IOLS was practical camp skills taught in a camp setting. A much better class than BALOO...

(Besides, even if some material might be repeated, a little reinforcement never hurts...)

Edited by mrkstvns