Baloo Training

Any ideas for getting Baloo training done? We have some outdoor activities coming up with our Pack that might involve schedule conflict with the two leaders we have trained on Baloo. I think we can get one more leader trained at an upcoming Council event, but I have a schedule conflict with that training and I'd really like to get this done. 

I'm in Oregon Trail Council. I'd be willing to travel in the Pacific Northwest to get Baloo training if anybody knows of a Council that will be hosting one soon and that I don't have a conflict with. 

Am I correct in understanding that we need to have a Baloo trained leader in order to take the kids on any outdoor swimming event or is the Safety Afloat training good for that (I don't have that either).

Baloo training varies from council to council and from district to district.  Our council is weak on training, mistakenly assuming that districts "got it covered". Some do. Most don't.

Looking around for options in neighboring districts or councils is a great idea. I've had to do much of my training at summer camps, or in other councils because our local council just plain fumbles the ball when it comes to providing adequate adult training options. 

I don't think you need Baloo in order to do a swimming event. "Safe Swim Defense" is your basic intro training for that, and if you want to delve deeper, then the two courses in Aquatics Supervision, "Swimming and Water Rescue" and "Paddle Craft Safety" might be right up your alley.

Good luck!

• Upvote 1

BALOO training is required in order for a pack or Webelos den to be able to conduct an overnight campout.

It seems like most of the Washington area councils are all holding BALOO training this weekend:

May 17-18, 2019 - Chief Seattle Council (Burien)
May 18-19, 2019 - Pacific Harbors Council (Camp Thunderbird near Olympia, WA)
May 18-19, 2019 - Inland Northwest Council (Camp Baird, Colville, WA)
September 13-14, 2019 - Pacific Harbors Council (Camp Thunderbird near Olympia, WA)

Mount Baker Council held BALOO training in March.

• Like 1

Well, I haven't heard back from the organizer of the CPC training that takes place tomorrow. Probably because it's being done during a Campboree which starts tonight and they're likely busy. The registration form didn't give me an option to select "out of council" so I just picked the district I used to be involved in and registered anyway. I have also completed the online portion of the training. 

What would you do? I don't want to leave the house at 6:30 AM and drive 2.5 hours to be turned away because I'm out of council. 

Should I just take a print-out showing my completion of YPT and the online Baloo prerequisite and go? Has anybody ever had an issue taking this training in a different Council? 

@Liz  I would go anyway, but there is the risk that they might turn you away.  If you do go, I would recommend taking a copy of your BSA membership card with you (if you have access to it).  This would allow them to see that you're currently registered with a pack and everything.  The fact that you are from a different council shouldn't matter.  It is possible that the class is full or that they didn't order enough food for Scouters who show up at the last minute.  But they might feel sorry for you and let you stay anyway!  LOL!  🤔

Edited by Thunderbird
1 hour ago, Thunderbird said:

@Liz  I would go anyway, but there is the risk that they might turn you away.  If you do go, I would recommend taking a copy of your BSA membership card with you (if you have access to it).  This would allow them to see that you're currently registered with a pack and everything.  The fact that you are from a different council shouldn't matter.  It is possible that the class is full or that they didn't order enough food for Scouters who show up at the last minute.  But they might feel sorry for you and let you stay anyway!  LOL!  🤔

Well, the website let me register so hopefully that means it isn't full. And I have Celiac so I have to pack my own food anyway as I can't eat their food. 

I wonder whether I have a membership card. Is there a place that can be downloaded from my.scouting or anything like that? My YPT certificate at least has my member number on it. 

Your Cubmaster, Pack Committee Chair, or Chartered Org. Rep. can access your membership card at my.scouting.org by using the Member Manager.  They can download it as a pdf and e-mail it to you or they can print it out for you.

Yes, I do have two. One for this Council and one for CPC since that's where we used to live when my older kids were in Scouts. I'll bring a copy of both.

Wow, just getting caught up with my  'net stuff.  We just had our combo IOLS/BALOO course up near Harpers Ferry, this past  17-18 May also !   Well attended, rained on,   campfire was both outdoor and under cover.... 

All good reviews.   The BALOOvians came away with the BALOO cert (they all had the online stuff done !)  AND the SMS stuff , so when the time comes, they will not need to take IOLS again !  Only the indoor SMS material. 

Every Council/District training committee needs to consider, the BALOO and IOLS curriculum are VERY similar. Almost identical.   Why not combine them , with some Cub philosophy sections as necessary.   It works for us....  

I only wish "they" had approved the idea of the SMS folks receiving the BALOO cert too.  Why couldn't a ASM accompany a Cub Pack camping?