1 hour ago, Jameson76 said:

Anchoring is one of the Pioneering MB requirements

This is true, but the BSA doesn't recognize MB's as sufficient training for adults. See First Aid, Life Saving, and any shooting MB for examples. Maybe this is a different topic. Anyway, I'd rather see training and let us make towers than just cut all the fun out of pioneering.

1 hour ago, Jameson76 said:

Hardest part is getting good spars, keeping them dry, and moving them to make a good tower.

Dry isn't a hard part where I live. Good requires lodge pole pine. Anything else would require a really large saw for ripping boards from lumber.

I still remember making a tower when I was a scout. That was the greatest fun. As an adult we made an hour glass tower at a summer camp and had it done by Tuesday. Then the scouts just used it as a jungle gym the rest of the week. Scouts talked about that for several years.

4 hours ago, MattR said:

This is true, but the BSA doesn't recognize MB's as sufficient training for adults. See First Aid, Life Saving, and any shooting MB for examples. Maybe this is a different topic. Anyway, I'd rather see training and let us make towers than just cut all the fun out of pioneering.

Once upon a time, they did for the youth. I remember when a first aid certification, let alone a WFA cert was not needed to do high adventure. Just 13 and First Class, which at the time required First Aid Merit Badge, or higher.

Maybe National requires the various certs because it recognizes "One and Done" is becoming the norm? Heck even the G2A no longer says such things as "Master the Skills" and "The Badge represent what the Scout CAN DO (sic) not what he has done."  Instead the G2A says "Remember, it is more about the journey. A badge recognizes what a Scout has done toward achieving the primary goal of personal growth."  😞