discontinued items and outdoor info bandanas

Daydreaming of the past weekend with scouts, families, and the OA event, I got to thinking about all the discontinued items that I found were helpful with my two eagle scout sons.  Now that I have grandchildren entering scouts, I broke out some older discontinued items I thought were great and treasure today.  The first batch that comes to mind are the information bandanas like 40 knots, animal tracks, first aid, and the night sky.  They are missed and were useful back in the day.  Tooth of Time traders carries a couple versions, but are hard to find elsewhere. 

A couple other discontinued items I miss are Ulster and Camillus knives.  The ones now are made in china.  Victorinox makes about the best scout knife out there for scouts, glow in the dark.  We miss the skill awards, scout harmonica, green jack-shirt, vittl-kit, metal box or white pocket first aid kit, fire by friction kit, boy scout hygiene kit, plumb hatchet, zebco red/white fishing reels, signal kits, and were able to buy hot pot tongs, reflector ovens, cook pots and chef kits from scout shops.  Miss those days and items.  Seems the hot spark has held on, but not in the plastic pouch like before. 

A few things went away without being missed.  The late 70s red trucker cap.  The metal signal mirror that was good for a summer camp and then was so scratched it made you a Picasso painting.  Goofy boy scout flashlights that took D batteries, required a smack to work, and put out about 10 lumens is thankfully gone.  BSA Buster Brown shoes (I had normal BB ones once as a bobcat, but I've seen the BSA types in catalogs ) that don't seem practical today.  I won't miss the BSA travel tooth brush, spats, or folding garrison cap.          

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, Double Eagle said:

Victorinox makes about the best scout knife out there

Have a couple, one of my favorites.

43 minutes ago, Double Eagle said:

We miss the skill awards

When skill awards first came out, I thought they made my scouts look like cubs.  That and the belt they were designed to go on was tough enough to get through those skinny little loops on the old uniform pants.

44 minutes ago, Double Eagle said:

The late 70s red trucker cap

Agreed

45 minutes ago, Double Eagle said:

The metal signal mirror that was good for a summer camp and then was so scratched it made you a Picasso painting.

Still have mine, with nary a scratch on it!

46 minutes ago, Double Eagle said:

folding garrison cap.          

I still have, and occasionally wear the 60's version of the garrison cap.  I have noticed a fair number of younger scouts wearing them district or council events recently.

51 minutes ago, Double Eagle said:

cook pots and chef kits

Every patrol had the official chef kit

54 minutes ago, Double Eagle said:

Goofy boy scout flashlights that took D batteries, required a smack to work, and put out about 10 lumens is thankfully gone

Bought one of those and almost immediately discarded it in favor of the military version that had the L shape and colored filters.

2 hours ago, MikeS72 said:

I have, and occasionally wear the 60's version of the garrison cap.  I have noticed a fair number of younger scouts wearing them district or council events recently.

Saw one at a CoH this past weekend.

Edited by Chadamus
Clarification

I started volunteering as a Scout leader only a few years ago, so I missed the olive green jac-shirts. :unsure: I also missed the blue version that they put out, though that was long before I was born.

If I could get my hands on ANYTHING though, it would be the blue Den Mother's beret. They were only put out for a year or so, so they are nigh unto impossible to find, but I want to get one for my own mother and I have had zero luck. Maybe someday ...

My 12yo picked up a unadorned red wool West German army beret at a church clothing swap. He's received quite a few compliments when he wears it at scout events. Any adults who are Scouts Canada alums seem particularly impressed... maybe berets lasted longer there...

At our council scout shop, I stumbled on an official, new, recent issue BSA hatchet.  Beautifully crafted, wooden handle, forged head, made in the USA.  I bought it and it's a joy to use.  Last I checked you can also buy them online from the scout stuff/scout shop.

Check ebay for the old Ulster and Camillus scout knives.  I regularly see decent daily users for 20 - 30 bucks.

Edited by desertrat77