woods badge and outdoor leadership training

I would first do the basic online courses on myscouting, then find a local "classroom" IOLS course (Introduction to Outdoor Leadership Skills). If you can't find it locally, you might be able to find it at your troop's summer camp --- most offer some adult learning activities, and IOLS might be one.

After you do the position-specific training and IOLS, you will be deemed "Trained".   Now it's time to start looking into more advanced training (including Wood Badge).

• Upvote 2

I also like doing training that is outside the BSA program. Many of the workshops and training I do elsewhere are invaluable. REI does fun workshops that are almost always hands-on and conducted outdoors. They also tend to have content focused on your own local region, so very useful for scout leaders. I also build up my skills in first aid and emergency preparedness by occasionally doing classes through the local Red Cross chapter. None of that is required by BSA, but it just helps me become more skilled. competent, and confident in the outdoors.

• Upvote 1

Rickmay:  Welcome to the virtual campfire.  Rollover an e-log and set a spell.

Woodbadge should be a desire, for sure, but get some "regular"  Scout time and training under your shoulder straps first.  I really like PPj's  list. It is more specific than I have seen before.   

When you get to WB, they will ask you to design some projects to accomplish, using the training and ideas you have garnered.   You should have the time and experience behind you to see what can and needs to be done.   Therefore, get your "Leader Specific"  training completed, whatever you see your role in Scouting to be. 

In the mean time, any excuse to go camping, eh? 

See you on the trail. 

You'll need to do IOLS before Wood Badge, because you need to first be "trained for your current position" before taking Wood Badge.  As ans ASM, IOLS is part of that.

Take Wood Badge when you want to do it, not because someone says you have to.

"My personal opinion" is that a good time for WB is after you've been active as a leader for 3-5 years.  And, you need to be comfortable camping--WB is not an outdoors skills course, but you're out in the woods for it.  Folks who are new to Scouts and/or camping who jump right into WB sometimes don't have as good a time with it.

• Upvote 1
28 minutes ago, Chisos said:

"My personal opinion" is that a good time for WB is after you've been active as a leader for 3-5 years.  And, you need to be comfortable camping--WB is not an outdoors skills course, but you're out in the woods for it.  Folks who are new to Scouts and/or camping who jump right into WB sometimes don't have as good a time with it.

Also, hold off on WB until you've heard from leaders who are just a few years further into their tenure than your are, and get their opinions on how the course was delivered. Although the syllabus is very specific, there can be some variability in execution.

I held off until an advisor from another crew invited me and said he was going to be on staff for the course. He didn't directly interact with me during the course, but it was nice to know there was somebody there who I knew was respected by his youth.

• 3 weeks later...

If you or your unit are going to take scouts into the backcountry, seriously consider taking this course: https://www.nols.edu/en/about/risk-services/training-courses/wilderness-risk-management-with-nols-and-rei/. This is the perfect compliment to a wilderness first aid course because it teaches how to avoid unnecessary risks beforehand as well as what to do after you've stabilized your patient.

I'm a council IOLS Instructor, ASM, and a grad of WB, Powder Horn, and Kodiak. I'm also an  Eagle Scout and former NOLS Senior Course Leader who taught this material for 13 years. This course is well suited for scouters and is better than any the BSA provides for this subject mater.  You will not get this info at IOLS, WB, PTC, Powder Horn,  Kodiak, Scouter U., or the National Camp School.  PM me if you have questions.

Edited by WRW_57
  • Like 2
14 hours ago, WRW_57 said:

If you or your unit are going to take scouts into the backcountry, seriously consider taking this course: https://www.nols.edu/en/about/risk-services/training-courses/wilderness-risk-management-with-nols-and-rei/. This is the perfect compliment to a wilderness first aid course because it teaches how to avoid unnecessary risks beforehand as well as what to do after you've stabilized your patient.

I would love to take some of the NOLS courses.....just wish they weren't so EXPEN$IVE!!!

Call them and find out about their scholarships. https://www.nols.edu/en/resources/financial-aid-scholarships/ .  The school is a non-profit. This course $245, about the same as a WB endeavor.

Like many things, it' s a case of you get what you pay for, and if you do not have to call for Search and Rescue during scouting career it will have paid for itself on the first trip. 

BSA national has been in discussions with NOLS Risk Management Services, off and on, for the last 20 years about  audits and consultations but never seems to get around to making a commitment.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/3/2019 at 10:23 AM, rickmay said:

I am interested in doing wood badge and also ding the outdoor leadership training for my growth as an assistant scoutmaster--which one should I try to attain first?

By OLS, do you mean Introduction to Outdoor Leadership Skills (IOLS), which is a requirement to be trained as an ASM. It should come first.