Meyers-Briggs Type Indicator

Trying to remember if this has ever been discussed on this forum. Every now and again I find it useful. The MBTI is a method of analysing personality traits. There are 4 continua (continuums?)

E and I: extroversion and introversion

S and N: sensation and intuition

F and T: feeling and thinking

P and J: perceiving and judging

http://www.boomspeed.com/zsnp/mbti.htm is a site for more info.

I like to try this out on my kiddo: I know she's as much if not more E than I am, I also know she is *strongly* T, I havn't yet really zeroed in on whether she's P or J, I think she may be more N than S, making her basically an outgoing version of her dad. Dad's an INTJ. I suspect my kiddo's an ENTP.

My co-leader is, I fear, a more strongly cast version of me: a fellow ENFP. I begin to realize I cant count on her to fill in the things that I let fall through the cracks, like I could with my last co-leader, an INTP who quietly saw what was needed and swept up and turned straw into gold. My ENFP coleader will drop everything (once I can get her attention) and talk for hours. My enormously practical INTP friend needed coaxing and a "good excuse" to take time for a cup of coffee.

Wondering if others see this play out in troop leadership...

Anne in Mpls

ESTP(J) here. (My P & J scores are nearly even).

I find the MBTI an interesting concept in any human interaction. However, it's very difficult to guess the true personality types of others. That is partly because people often mask their true personality. It's even more difficult with kids, because they are often more reluctant to show us their true selves. (Except at Summer Camp, over six days, the truth will eventually come out).

Good luck with your interactions. It's always helpful to gain a better understanding of those you work with.

10 years ago I was a ISTJ. Took this one and I came out different. Of course I knew what I wanted the final answer to be.

This can be a very good tool, on how to communicate with other people. It is sometimes easier to get agreement if you can explain or show something in their terms or comfort zone.

The little web test probably is not a very good why to get a good reading on yourself. It is not in depth enough.

• 2 weeks later...

I was reading and found this interesting.

Sometimes on rainy days I am an INFP

and then on sunny days I could be an ESTP

but then on grouchy days INTJ

So with two Is and two Ns and two Ts and two Ps, I am an INTP-60 % of the time.

I then took the test and came up with ENTP.

FB(This message has been edited by Fuzzy Bear)(This message has been edited by Fuzzy Bear)

You remind me a lot of my kiddo - and she's been hard to figure out but is most likely an ENTP. Maybe that's usual for being an ENTP??

They say that under great stress, people will tend to "flip" to the opposite of their temperament - I know I can get ridiculously rigid and judgmental when I'm stressed out - and heck, I don't even like myself when I'm like that ;)

The test allows for shades of choice that can lead one to believe that he has included those "other moments" but in reality it is a forced choice. None of us are always one or the other. But, I suppose we have tendencys towards the poles that makes us look like one of the types.

I started reading some of the definitions, famous people like me, and some of the careers.

FB

We did something like this in a school board training session, though it was not exactly the same terminology.

On this thing, I got a definite E and T (phone home?) but I am pretty close on the S/N and P/J. If I had to be one or the other on these I guess I would be ESTP.

Ok, let's see if there can be a predictive factor here.

AnneinMpls-INTJ-Engineer

co-leader- ENFP- Business person

past co-leader-INTP-Teacher

EagleInky- ESTP- Policeman

scoutldr- ISTP- Computer Tech person

Dan- ISTJ- Accountant

FB- ENTP- College President

packsaddle- ENTP- Business Consultant

firstpusk- ENTP- Banker

Scoutingagain-INTP-Real Estate Developer

NJCubScouter-ESTP-Stockbroker

FB

FuzzyBear, do folks from on here ever appear in your dreams? ;)

That was seriously scary - me, an engineer..Nah, I'm one of those chameleon types who learned to "speak" geekytech - my ex is a mathematician - he did fractal research and number theory. Me, I'm a former misfit in the dept of family social science. I liked the science better than the social. I'm an ENFP, light on the E and the F. My current co-leader is a strongly type-cast ENFP. She's a ridiculously brainy stay-at-home mom and karaoke singer. My former coleader is CFO of her own architectural firm. Awesome lady.

My kiddo is I think a lot like you. I have no idea what she'll be when she grows up. She's already an absent-minded professor. ENTP seems to be her. There are times I just plain dont understand her at all, and I tend to feel like I understand people pretty well. She confuses and challenges me :)

Time for sleep,

Peace to all,

Anne in Mpls