In my excitement for lifeguard training this weekend I started looking at all the aquatics patches that can be earned. I found them in the guide to insignia but it only shows an example of boxer style bathing suits. Is there a proper placement for women's one piece suits, other than the generic "left" or "right" side description given?

12 minutes ago, PinkPajamas said:

In my excitement for lifeguard training this weekend I started looking at all the aquatics patches that can be earned. I found them in the guide to insignia but it only shows an example of boxer style bathing suits. Is there a proper placement for women's one piece suits, other than the generic "left" or "right" side description given?

Good question since females usually do not wear boxer style swim wear.

2 hours ago, PinkPajamas said:

Sounds like you have found a thing that National may have forgotten about. Should have been addressed before as I really thought that Venturers have been able to do the BSA Lifeguarding course.  I would say that until told otherwise, it goes where you feel it would most logically go.

I went through all the Red Cross swimming classes up to and including WSI and then BSA Lifeguard and BSA Lifeguard counsellor.  My many female instructors always wore their patches on the bottom left front of their one piece tank suits.  I think on "Baywatch", they did the same...but much higher.;)

Not official, but I actually put all of mine on a sun hat, both Scouting and YMCA. Also had a First Class Anchor representing my time in Sea Scouts on it. Sadly the hat was lost in Hurricane Katrina.

• 2 weeks later...

Put them on the right or left sides as specified. Exact placement is up to you. Those I have seen place them around hip to waist level on the front. 

If you have numerous ones that go on the left, I  have seen them wrap around the side and up.

I think  one criteria for placement many women use is place them where it does not draw attention to areas you don't want guys to focus on. 

When I was a lifeguard and aquatic manager most of the women wore red running shorts over their swimsuits and the patch went on that.  I'd never suggest that someone try and attach a patch to a spandex women's swimsuit.  They are expensive and I'd be worried about the possibility of creating a weak spot in the material.  But since I'm not a tailor, I could be totally off about the likelihood of that causing a problem

• Thanks 1
8 minutes ago, elitts said:

They are expensive and I'd be worried about the possibility of creating a weak spot in the material.  But since I'm not a tailor, I could be totally off about the likelihood of that causing a problem

With some of the suits I have seen, that is a real concern even without stuff sewed onto them. Some of the incidents that have happened in the Olympics, i.e. suits splitting during a meet, have happened at the meets I guarded at.

9 hours ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

With some of the suits I have seen, that is a real concern even without stuff sewed onto them. Some of the incidents that have happened in the Olympics, i.e. suits splitting during a meet, have happened at the meets I guarded at.

Well, it's a little different at competitions.  They use a material that is ridiculously thin, and usually at least 1-2 if not 3-4 sizes smaller than what a person would normally wear.  And those suits are only expect to last a season or maybe two, and only for competition, not practice.