Snake bites victimize parents as much as campers

39 minutes ago, mrkstvns said:

Just in case you are naive enough to think that the health care industry is okay and can regulate itself, take a look at what one kid's snake bite at summer camp ending up costing....YIKES!

Is there a link?

9 minutes ago, ValleyBoy said:

One of the reasons that we require our scouts to wear closed toe shoes on all scout outings.

We have more than our fair share of venomous snakes in Central Florida Council, and seem to have a knack for running into them on every backpacking trip or hike.  Over the ankle hiking boots saved one of our scouts when he stepped on a pygmy rattlesnake.

We've always had to be cautious of rattlers here in Southern California. So far I've been blessed never to have run into one directly (though I've heard plenty from afar), but it's something about which you can never grow complacent. Always beware.

Source: 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2015/09/09/the-crazy-reason-it-costs-14000-to-treat-a-snakebite-with-14-medicine/?utm_term=.942d63d74aba

I73KVYYSIE3UJMLSES6JSKGNRE.png

...a single vial of antivenom that would cost more than $14,000 in the United States would cost $100 to $200 in Mexico. Same medicine. Same manufacturer. But a totally different pharmaceutical market.

In Mexico, Boyer says, authorities determined some time ago that treating venomous snake and spider bites was a public health issue. "Their policy has always been that the government will provide adequate amounts of antivenom via a massive purchase of the drug which it distributes to health clinics." We could try to implement something similar here, but it would require an act of Congress to do so.

• 2 weeks later...

I hope there is a special final resting place for those that prey on the masses.  The price markup by big pharm companies is criminal.  It just goes to show the tyranny of benefitting from another's misfortune.  Kind of like how the elderly cannot afford insulin and other drugs on their limited income.  Now that is one thing I do believe needs overhauled and fixed by working class types, not wealthy politicians claiming everything should be given. 

I would guess that the hospital that stocks the antivenom ends up discarding a lot of unused and expired drugs. The consumer (snake bite victim) pays for it. It would be unfair to ask a hospital or pharmacy to keep the drugs in stock if they couldn't pass on the cost of unused medications to the patients.