What color is your Class B ?

1 hour ago, qwazse said:

Considering the number of Yeti hunters out there ... If I'm going through the woods naked, I'm dyeing the hair on my Mediterranean back blaze orange!

I have a mental image in my head now. And I cannot unsee it. 😕

• Haha 2
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I started backpacking in the '70s.  There were plenty of funky, loud backpacks and tents.  And the clothes!  Remember the stars and stripes/red/white/blue external frame packs?  I've always wanted one

This is such a strange discussion to have from a scouter perspective. My boys are intrusive in so many other ways, that their colors are the least of my worries. One dropped wrapper or abandoned bottl

We rotate colors year to year.  Sometimes more "earth-tone" other times more "loud".  Each has its place.  The "earth-tone" fits in well with LNT principles, but I like the loud bright "Hunter Orange"

10 hours ago, chief027 said:

Our troop has a nice khaki color that is very similar to the Field Uniform/ Class A color, however, I think a nice bright color would help our scouts stand out from the crowd. Our Council Camp uses that method to help troops identify the staff, the t-shirts are a blue which stands out but isn't too in your face, it's better than the old highlighter green color they used.

At an OA event that the local Lodge sponsors both as a fundraiser and an opportunity to camp, the staffers all had pink shirts to stand out. 

17 hours ago, MikeS72 said:

...if the color of a scouts shirt offends someones sensibilities, that would definitely be at the bottom of my list of concerns.

I'd really prefer my scouts wear bright colors, I suspect their parents would be more offended if I had to tell them we lost their kid in the woods and the forest green shirt we made them wear so they didn't offend the sensibilities of nearby hikers was making it harder to spot them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
2 hours ago, FireStone said:

I'd really prefer my scouts wear bright colors, I suspect their parents would be more offended if I had to tell them we lost their kid in the woods and the forest green shirt we made them wear so they didn't offend the sensibilities of nearby hikers was making it harder to spot them.

I’m not trying to be condescending here, and I certainly don’t want to be part of what I think is but if a silly discussion. But your posting is more of a baby sitters mentality to you scouts.

Our scouts have two rules that must be strictly followed at camp; always have a buddy and always tell your Patrol Leader where you are at. 

If the adults feel the need to watch their scouts to prevent them from harm, the scouts will never trust the adults are giving them the independence to fail. Trust is key to patrol method success.

Let the scouts pick the shirts.

Barry

• Thanks 1

I am not sure how it is condescending.  Scouts and buddies could certainly get lost.  I am a big proponent of the scouts picking their shirts and colors.  But there is a reason why clothing on runners, marine vessels, and others are high viz or reflective.  It is to be spotted.  

I don't see how that is babysitting.

11 hours ago, mashmaster said:

Can I guess that you just finished with LNT training?   I noticed you recently changed your profile pic.

Nope.  Did it several years ago.  I just occasionally bump into the odd nuance (like shirt colors) that makes me stop and think about boundaries, definitions, and philosophies.

I believe that is a term used for nudists, which is probably more distracting to true outdoorsman.

Oh, dear!  I was thinking of people who study, observe, and learn about the environment over a lifetime (regardless of education credentials, certificates, etc.)  Kind of like this definition:
https://www.environmentalscience.org/career/naturalist

My point is, most people don't agree with you and no matter how much you berate everyone.  

I'm not trying to berate people (or even really to change anyone's mind), rather, simply raise the point and let people ponder it on occasion and maybe understand that "Courtesy" has nothing whatsoever to do with our own perspective or tastes, and everything to do with what somebody else might think.

Frankly, I've always considered point 7 in the LNT principles to be the least convincing, and the least relevant to protecting the environment. After all, why on earth should I care whether I offend some thin-skinned human?  They'll get over it and the forest will still be the forest.  But still, it's there, and I want to understand the most subtle nuances.

See you on the trail!!

28 minutes ago, mashmaster said:

I am not sure how it is condescending.  Scouts and buddies could certainly get lost.  I am a big proponent of the scouts picking their shirts and colors.  But there is a reason why clothing on runners, marine vessels, and others are high viz or reflective.  It is to be spotted.  

I don't see how that is babysitting.

I teach in ( adult training) the best way for adults to get past their fears of giving scouts independence is teach them the skills that will ease the fears. 

Now, what are your concerns? What skills do your scouts need?

Barry

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Eagledad said:

I teach in ( adult training) the best way for adults to get past their fears of giving scouts independence is teach them the skills that will ease the fears. 

Now, what are your concerns? What skills do your scouts need?

Barry

Agreed, I a a huge proponent of the scouts leading and me driving them to the start point.  Especially at the Sea Scout level, they do everything other than driving to the destination.

'Round here from an SAR perspective from May-September shirt color won't help much. Fifty feet into a thicket and the victim is invisible.

From October-April it's so cold the activity shirt would be under a jacket. For hunting season I pull out orange pinafores (dog hates that one).

Truth is any color that's a solid pattern will catch the eye. Their ain't much in nature (here) that takes up two square feet of just one hue.

Edited by qwazse
  • Upvote 1