Girl Scouts Barred from a Camporee by the Girl Scouts

This is all very sad & so very unscout like, from a cub scout leader prospective. 

I have a friend that runs both BSA units and a GSUSA unit.  When her GS unit arrived at a camp owned by GS, she was told that the girls could enter if they had enough adult leaders but that the head of the unit, my friend, was banned because she also ran BSA units. Just horrible.

So what happened, she made a quick call to our BSA council for a camping site & brought the GS troop to the BSA camp. What kind of message did that send to the girls? Not a positive one for the GSUSA

• Confused 1
  • Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Gabriella Burke, the girl who started the petition, did go to the camporee after all -- in Scouts BSA: https://www.newsday.com/long-island/nassau/all-girl-boy-scouts-1.34947886?fbclid=IwAR2900qv9

Camp song "Linger" Hmmm, I want to linger. Hmmm, A little longer. Hmmm, A little longer, Here with you. Hmmm, It's such a perfect night. Hmmm, It doesn't seem quite right. Hmmm, Th

Sloppy reporting (re: the name of both organizations) aside - This decision demonstrates why the argument "If Girl Scouts dont do things that girls want to do, then change the Girl Scouts" is not

Posted Images

13 minutes ago, karunamom3 said:

So what happened, she made a quick call to our BSA council for a camping site & brought the GS troop to the BSA camp. What kind of message did that send to the girls? 

If you are not treated fairly, take your business elsewhere,  Well done BSA council.

• Upvote 1
On 6/14/2019 at 8:25 AM, karunamom3 said:

I have a friend that runs both BSA units and a GSUSA unit.  When her GS unit arrived at a camp owned by GS, she was told that the girls could enter if they had enough adult leaders but that the head of the unit, my friend, was banned because she also ran BSA units. Just horrible.

That is indeed horrible.

If, hypothetically, the tables were turned and the BSA was suing GSUSA and advising BSA volunteers to shun GSUSA, I wouldn't do it. I certainly could not ever imagine turning away a unit leader because she was affiliated with GSUSA. That's insane.

• 2 months later...
22 hours ago, hiker67 said:

Gabriella Burke, the girl who started the petition, did go to the camporee after all -- in Scouts BSA:

https://www.newsday.com/long-island/nassau/all-girl-boy-scouts-1.34947886?fbclid=IwAR2900qv9ZyLznadkrfScbS--LbqJ-6iv47tBvhqvUzEEHBO6Nepie32Wm0

The article is a little confusing because the reporter gets the BSA terminology mixed up, but what else is new.