Adult Religious Service Award

while I was in the military (in 2005), the catholic archdiocese of military affairs asked a bunch of us soldiers to hop onboard several scouting activities to do field stuff with the scouts. after our time was up, catholic archdiocese of military affairs and catholic scouting organization gave us the "Adult Religious Service Award" knot as a thank you. they offered no paperwork and I have no physical proof of receiving the award [paperwork]. Personnel from the catholic archdiocese of military affairs have been promoted and moved onto better things. they have no record of issuing this to us, nor does the catholic scouting organization. if I wear it, am I out-of-uniform?  2005 is a long time to expect anyone to hold onto those kinds of records.

knotreladult.jpg

"A Scout is Trustworthy".   The adult faith award is permanent, stays with you thru your career in Scouting.  No reason you  should not wear it, to my mind.  USUALLY (usually), the knot comes with a certificate.  The XYZ Committee on Scouting for your faith would have been the official  awarder (?word?) of the knot/certificate, so perhaps the local diocese Scout Committee might/could/should/oughta have record of this.  14 years?  Not too long for records.  Won't hurt to do a little asking.....  We have a piece of paper that says we are a "nation" that is over 240 years old (math was not my best subject), still got that piece of paper, not an email copy......

Thank you for your service to our future . . .

Did you meet any future State Senators?  😀 

Edited by SSScout
  • 4 weeks later...

For Catholics the adult religious emblem knot is used to represent the St George Emblem alone.  So it sounds like they simply gave you the knot as an award which is not a proper use of the knot given there are several patches the National Committee provides for such a purpose.

• Upvote 1
On 4/30/2019 at 11:27 AM, jr56 said:

Of course, I don't wear my religious award square knot anymore, because with the new restriction to 9 square knots, I am forced to choose and eliminate some.

So?   Must pick and choose, I guess.   Go to the Scoutshop, buy some extras, put a mix on your "extra" Scout shirt.   Or on your Campfire Blanket.....

I have two uni shirts,  slightly different patches on each.    My pride in awards/accomplishments need not be so important to the Scout I pass on the trail, only the stories I can tell around the campfire.....

• Upvote 1