knot-awards q

I earned the "Youth Religious Emblem Award" through the Moravian church back in 1991.  That was a long time ago.  I thought once I earned it, I was good for wearing it.  I tried to find the paperwork for it a few days ago and realized that, after 14 years in the army, that knot award paperwork is gone.  The council/troop/church have no records going back to 1991 (and my scoutmaster from that time is dead).  So am I screwed with wanting to wear it but not being able to prove that I earned it?  My council makes it sound like I need to be able to "prove" I earned this award--especially since I am an assistant scoutmaster--but, seeing as that it was earned back in 1991 (28 years ago!) and as a child, that's a little ridiculous to demand.  as a former-scout, I will obey whatever the chain-of-command says goes.

Youth Religious Emblem Award
knotrelyouth.jpg

I think you just need to talk to someone a bit more practical. As a scout, in 1975, I was an ordeal member of the OA. When my son, in about 2004, was an ordeal candidate I decided to get my brotherhood. There were no written records. I sent the council email just to make sure and they said "you're kidding, right? If you say you did your ordeal then you did your ordeal."

My guess is the chain of command in a volunteer organization is a bit lax compared to what you might be used to in the army. BTW, I was in the Transatlantic Council and so most of the volunteers were in the army, and they still didn't worry about some lost documentation.

Just pick one up at the scout shop and put it on your uniform.  Doubt anyone will ask, and if they do, just tell them you earned it as a kid.

Some scouts will probably ask you what it is, tell them, and encourage them to earn one themselves (it's the only knot youth can wear too!)

"A Scout is Trustworthy." 

I've had this quoted at me several times when I've run into a roadblock "proving" this or that.

There are some things that are non-negotiable; I don't think it would fly well with the legal department if you didn't have documentation of completing YPT. But I'd be really surprised if you were questioned about buying a religious award knot for your uniform. 

Actually, there are a lot of awards earned or awarded as a youth that can be worn on the adult uniform.

Youth religious award

Arrow of Light

Eagle

Quartermaster

Silver Award

Hornaday Award

Medal of Merit

Heroism Award

Honor Medal

Order of the Arrow Award  (Not sure on the exact name)

It's possible that the church might have a record of it.

When my son earned a religious emblem through the catholic church, he needed to turn in paperwork to an archdiocese-wide catholic committee on scouting. They conducted boards of review with adults and scouts from many troops throughout the council and they kept paperwork signed by the adult counselor and by the parish priest. If your church did something like that, they might be able to "prove" you earned the award.

However, I agree with Liz:  "A scout is trustworthy."  If you know you earned the award, then just buy the patch whereever you can get it and wear it with pride. After all, you earned it and you know it.

I read something on Mike Walton's website years ago that the BSA came up with a ruling stating that scouts and scouters could wear the appropriate religious award square knot to represent any religious award, even if the award itself was not eligible for uniform wear.  Will not vouch for the accuracy of that though.

• 8 months later...

Some award knots are restricted, and you must show that you have earned it to get one. 

However, some, like the Youth Religious Emblem knot are not restricted. You can simply buy it along with other uniform pieces. We trust you. 

(I earned my first youth religious emblem in 1991 as well. I still have the medal, but no certificates or paperwork anywhere. Never had a problem getting the knot when i got a new uniform shirt.)

A local scouter recently told me that "stolen valor" exists in scouting, he knows a leader in our district who wears knots he did not earn. I'm still kind of shocked that this happens in scouting, but I guess that's why we have restricted items.