Something different...

An inflatable :blink: BB-gun shooting range used by the Black Hills Area Council of Boy Scouts to teach gun safety became the apparent target of thieves late Tuesday night or early Wednesday while it was  parked next to the Council’s offices on North Street.

A lock on the trailer was broken and a large bag containing the shooting range and a tote containing other accessories, along with supplies of BBs and paper targets, were missing. Two BB rifles also were missing and three other BB rifles were found lying in the grass near the trailer, said Ron Weider, senior district executive for the Black Hills Area Council of the Boy Scouts of America, said.

Weider said the Council purchased the $1,600 shooting range, made for the Boy Scouts by BB gun manufacturer Daisy, through a donation by American Legion Post 71 in Hot Springs.

More info including photo of range at source:

https://rapidcityjournal.com/news/local/boy-scout-bb-gun-shooting-range-stolen-official-says/article_58ba5232-8dd4-5c77-afbf-6d07c1af3c39.html

Edited by RememberSchiff
font resized
  • 3 weeks later...

May 15, 2019 Update:

An inflatable BB-gun shooting range reported stolen three weeks ago from the Rapid City headquarters of the Black Hills Area Council  has been recovered, about five blocks from where it was taken.

According to a Rapid City police report, officers were called to the 1100 block of Halley Avenue about 8 a.m. Tuesday after a resident had reported a large item “that seemed out of place in the alleyway behind their residence.”

Weider said the American Legion has donated money to help pay for a new range, which resembles a inflatable bounce house or jumping castle and provides safe shooting lanes for two shooters and instructors using low-velocity BB-weaponry.

Weider had ordered a replacement range from BB-gun manufacturer Daisy. However, the replacement range wouldn’t have arrived until late July, he said.

“I’m glad we got it back,” Weider said. “Hopefully, it’s still usable.”

More at source:

https://rapidcityjournal.com/news/local/missing-boy-scout-bb-gun-range-recovered/article_c9680b00-4d60-5883-b8f0-f86c641870ce.html

Edited by RememberSchiff
  • 7 months later...

For the second time in less than a year, the Black Hills Area Council Boy Scouts of America has been the victim of a burglary. 

"What they stole is probably worth a few thousand dollars," he said. "But the value to our organization is much greater."

Davis said some supporters had offered to make donations, which will help, but getting the stolen items back would be far more beneficial to the group. The items taken when the security locks were cut off of the storage shed behind their headquarters at 144 North St. included the uniforms they use on dinosaurs in front of Sinclair gas stations to increase interest in scouting each September along with custom-made table toppers that they use for banquets and other functions.

5dfaaf807932f.image.jpg?resize=1200,1599

https://rapidcityjournal.com/news/local/boy-scouts-robbed-for-second-time-this-year/article_57050dab-f33e-5bc4-829b-6537063d97bb.html

16 minutes ago, SSScout said:

Bizarre.  How does one "fence" oversize Scout uniforms? 

I dunno, Woodbadge?

IMO, Council should have clothed  a velociraptor instead of a plant eater. :)

My $0.02, 

Edited by RememberSchiff
  • Haha 1
48 minutes ago, RememberSchiff said:

... IMO, Council should have clothed  a velociraptor instead of a plant eater. :)...

Dino the brontosaurus is the Sinclair mascot ...  chosen by ad men back when it was cool to brag about extracting fossil fuels from PA substrate.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, qwazse said:

Dino the brontosaurus is the Sinclair mascot ...  chosen by ad men back when it was cool to brag about extracting fossil fuels from PA substrate.

I must be getting old because I remember Dino and Sinclair gas stations in the south back in my younger days.  Have not seen one in right at 50 years.

Gas stations...   My parents loved to travel we did a lot of "road trips"  as I was growing up, all east of the Missississippi.

I had a notebook, I collected names of gasoline brands ! And BIG hamburgers.... Might Mo, Sir Loiner, Big Boy,    Esso, Penns Oil,  Indian,  that sort of thing.