We use them for every outing. They serve multiple purposes. The least of which is the actual permission. My understanding is that they have limited legal value. Ours our a 1/2 page form (out of Troopmaster), with the other 1/2 page containing an overview of the activity (where we meet, when we meet/return, what to bring, etc.). It also has a place for adults to check whether they are attending and able to drive. This helps us with our overall trip planning.

One for every outing. In addition to general permission it contains contact information for the parents (or others if the parent is on the trip) as well as permission for the leaders of the outing to obtain medical treatment for the Scout if necessary.

First, before I get to this:

Man, what happened around here? I was too busy to get to check the forums for a week, and the manure has hit the high velocity wind device.

We use a persmission slip for every outing. It serves a number of purposes:

-Commitment to go on campout

-Permission of parents

-Agreement by both parents and Scouts to act Scout like (Includes signatures)

-a place for youth leaders and Scout himself to evaluate activity, and the Scout's perticipation.

We collect permission slips and file by Scout, and refer to them in Scoutmaster conferences and BORs.

Mark

Rather or not you think your troop uses a permission slip, it does. The Class 1 and Class 3 both have act as a permission slip.

The Class 1 Form says "I give permission for full participation in BSA programs, subject to limitations noted herein." It then goes into asking for the Signature of the Scout's parent or the adult participant.

The Class 3 Form says "...I give my permission for full participation in BSA programs, subject to limitations noted herein."

As for the Commitment our troop usually collects the money before the outing from the scouts going. As for actual permission the Physical Class 1 and Class 3 forms both give that. As for specificis we do handouts that give a "What to Pack List" and the details of the trip. We basically just skip the permission slip part and do the other stuff through other means.

We use permission forms for all activities away form the troop meeting. I believe that the permission form also insures that insurance is covered.

I also make a list of equipment/clothing needed...I mostly do it for parents, the boys pretty much get it!

mk9750, SCOUTER_Terry had to resort to his woodshed again. From my view it was primarily the result of a large number of provocative posts by several personalities that happened to occupy one human body. This individual was 'outed' as a liar (shapeshifter? chameleon?) and some of us are simply not responding further. I now have a suspicion that he will attempt to return as other personalities, indeed he explained his actions as a desire to demonstrate security problems with the website.

But as a result, we now have two moderators who will 'facilitate' discussions in case they go over the line. The line is what is in question and I suspect that will be defined in practice and over time. Both of the moderators are capable persons, and serious about it, but I wonder how much time they will be able to devote to the task.

Good to hear from you again, Mark. YIS

I have seen it done both ways. I prefer the idea of listing all the planned events annually and having the parents sign once. This requires a somewhat more organized approach as someone has to agree to be the custodian for these and make them available to other adult leaders as needed.

However, we currently do it event by event.

There is a difference between permission to treat a minor for injury and permission to participate in an event. Our permission slip covers both issues.