Girl Scouts vs. School Dress Code

On 4/30/2019 at 9:14 PM, Ranman328 said:

So David CO, why do you do Scouting then.  You constantly push back against everything that is Scouting.  I notice that you are one of the folks on this group that post negative comments about what Scouting is.  I don't get it.  If you don't want to wear a uniform or follow policies and want to do the exact opposite or find and pick each and every opening to do the opposite of what the program is really about, why do it.  Why not move on and find something that aligns with your views? 

Compared to other people in my position (IH), I was considered to be very involved and supportive of the scouting program. Probably not so much if you compared me to the unit leaders. Certainly not if you compared me to many of the die-hard scouters on this forum.

I think the viewpoint of the IH and the Chartered Organization is often missing from the forum.  My CO couldn't care less if the scouts wear a uniform.

• Downvote 1
  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Good point. I like scouters who say things like that. My son's first scoutmaster was a great guy who set a strong example for the boys. When my son went for his Tenderfoot scoutmaster confer

Okay, maybe it's time to let this thread end. We are far from the OT and much further from agreement.

I would argue that the younger teen and pre-teen girls don't really understand how people react to what they are wearing -- they are just wanting to look "in", and probably care a lot more about what

Posted Images

14 hours ago, David CO said:

Compared to other people in my position (IH), I was considered to be very involved and supportive of the scouting program. Probably not so much if you compared me to the unit leaders. Certainly not if you compared me to many of the die-hard scouters on this forum.

I think the viewpoint of the IH and the Chartered Organization is often missing from the forum.  My CO couldn't care less if the scouts wear a uniform.

Again and I'm sorry but as the IH and CO, you have no say in BSA Policy.  You are suppose to promote Scouting according to BSA Policy and Guidelines not as YOU see fit which includes the uniform.  You should go back and read the Guide and Responsibilities of the Charter Organization or take some additional Training.  By allowing the bar to be lowered, we just accept a lower standard of our Scouts.  We are suppose to be helping guide and shape these Scouts to be future leaders of this country.  By allowing them to take the easy way out is not why we are here.  Life is hard and we have a responsibility to prepare them for it.

• Downvote 1
17 minutes ago, Ranman328 said:

Again and I'm sorry but as the IH and CO, you have no say in BSA Policy.  You are suppose to promote Scouting according to BSA Policy and Guidelines not as YOU see fit which includes the uniform.  You should go back and read the Guide and Responsibilities of the Charter Organization or take some additional Training.  By allowing the bar to be lowered, we just accept a lower standard of our Scouts.  We are suppose to be helping guide and shape these Scouts to be future leaders of this country.  By allowing them to take the easy way out is not why we are here.  Life is hard and we have a responsibility to prepare them for it.

Is it not up to the Unit to decide what constitutes proper uniforming for the unit members? I'd venture a guess that you're getting your buttons pushed, and David's CO 's troop has a uniform of some sort, even if it's a T-shirt and jeans. 

Uniform policy.PNG

Edited by Sentinel947
  • Thanks 2

Uniforming is one of eight methods.  As with anything in life, when there are choices among multiple options - that's where priorities come in.

As CO or as a unit, you get to set priorities.  Where does uniforming fall in priority vs. patrol method?  Where does it fall in priority to advancement?

I can fully appreciate that as an IH uniforming is pretty low on the list of priorities.  As a Scouter, I never volunteered because I was interested in promoting uniforming.  No, uniforming was simply a tool to advance the larger cause.  I can see how as an IH you're much more interested in that larger purpose.  Whether the Scouts wear a uniform is a detail for the unit itself.

Edited by ParkMan
  • Upvote 1
8 hours ago, Sentinel947 said:

Is it not up to the Unit to decide what constitutes proper uniforming for the unit members? I'd venture a guess that you're getting your buttons pushed, and David's CO 's troop has a uniform of some sort, even if it's a T-shirt and jeans. 

"While wearing the uniform is not mandatory, it is highly encouraged."

I would totally agree with that statement. The scout leaders in my unit were allowed to encourage scouts to purchase and wear the uniform. They were not allowed to make it mandatory. They were not allowed to hassle scouts into purchasing a uniform. If they did that, it ended up on my desk.

I'm OK with scouts wearing the complete uniform. I'm OK with scouts wearing T-shirts and jeans. I'm not OK with mixing and matching uniform and non-uniform parts. If they cannot afford the complete uniform, they should wear the T-shirts and jeans.

Edited by David CO
  • Like 1
  • Downvote 1