I might suggest investing in a SHED rather than a trailer.  I read and agree, the trailer size seems to drive the gear collection.  This is known as a corollary to the Peter Principle, viz, "The stuff collected will increase to fill the space available."

With a shed, properly shelved, your gear can be easily organized, cleaned, inventoried and collected AS NEEDED (!) for a trip/hike/expedition.  Cars/vans/SUVs/station wagons(remember those?) can be loaded as required and unloaded when returned.  The QM need not worry about who has what, because he/she sees it being reshelved.    Sheds are harder (if not impossible) to steal. They can be heavily locked. Made weatherproof. No large insurance.  No need for title or tags.  Bought once, set up and admired.  No worry about whose driveway can we use.  Of course, you do need a spot , hopefully the CO can afford to let the Pack/Troop set it up on the back of the parking lot, out of the way.... 

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'll add a few that I think are key Weight when empty - Gear only adds more weight.  Our trailer is 6x12 or 7x12 and must be 1500+ pounds empty.  So even empty, vehicles are affected by the tra

All - thank you very much for all of the ideas and input. We are a large troop and have used a trailer for years but with 80 scouts in the troop and usually 50+ that attend summer camp, we needed a la

"If I could go back in time to when I started scouting" ... I'd do what I saw another troop do that I thought was really cool.  They found an old broken down medium sized pop-up camper.  The gutted it

Posted Images

16 hours ago, SSScout said:

I might suggest investing in a SHED rather than a trailer.  I read and agree, the trailer size seems to drive the gear collection.  This is known as a corollary to the Peter Principle, viz, "The stuff collected will increase to fill the space available."

With a shed, properly shelved, your gear can be easily organized, cleaned, inventoried and collected AS NEEDED (!) for a trip/hike/expedition.  Cars/vans/SUVs/station wagons(remember those?) can be loaded as required and unloaded when returned.  The QM need not worry about who has what, because he/she sees it being reshelved.    Sheds are harder (if not impossible) to steal. They can be heavily locked. Made weatherproof. No large insurance.  No need for title or tags.  Bought once, set up and admired.  No worry about whose driveway can we use.  Of course, you do need a spot , hopefully the CO can afford to let the Pack/Troop set it up on the back of the parking lot, out of the way.... 

A shed is a great solution.  Our troop proposed one.  Our troop had the money.  The CO said no.  Even if we built one, I suspect it would be quickly filled with church stuff.  The challenge is a shed is a permanent structure that requires someone to take serious ownership.  Charter Orgs are often only someone involved with the troop.  When the troop asks to build a structure, the alarms go off and eyes open.

19 hours ago, fred8033 said:

A shed is a great solution.  Our troop proposed one.  Our troop had the money.  The CO said no.  Even if we built one, I suspect it would be quickly filled with church stuff.  The challenge is a shed is a permanent structure that requires someone to take serious ownership.  Charter Orgs are often only someone involved with the troop.  When the troop asks to build a structure, the alarms go off and eyes open.

Thanks for the agreement.  Problem is, a Trailer has many more of the troubles you allude to. Ownership:  A private person, long term "loan" of use?   CO ownership?   Some sort of Troop Association ownership?  Who pays/owns the tags and insurance?  Maintenance, new tires brakes, etc.?   A shed just SITS there.  Repair/replace the roof every ten, twenty years. Coat of paint to match (Scout service project !) . 

When I was a Scout, each Patrol had their own gear, there was NO "Troop" gear.   The Patrol Quartermaster had charge of the Patrol Gear (his basement, garage corner...).  How things have changed..... 

One thing to note for the "when I was a scout" crowd. The family car was much larger. In his Ford LTD, my dad could drive five of us, and in the trunk he'd fit our packs, canvas tents, a dining fly, and mess kits. SM had a station wagon.

1 hour ago, SSScout said:

Thanks for the agreement.  Problem is, a Trailer has many more of the troubles you allude to. Ownership:  A private person, long term "loan" of use?   CO ownership?   Some sort of Troop Association ownership?  Who pays/owns the tags and insurance?  Maintenance, new tires brakes, etc.?   A shed just SITS there.  Repair/replace the roof every ten, twenty years. Coat of paint to match (Scout service project !) . 

When I was a Scout, each Patrol had their own gear, there was NO "Troop" gear.   The Patrol Quartermaster had charge of the Patrol Gear (his basement, garage corner...).  How things have changed..... 

I agree trailer has more issues, but COs are reluctant to let scouting units build sheds.  Some are very supportive.  Most are not.  It's something about treating charter orgs as the church doing a good deed for the community.  That the scouting unit is more of a community group than an integrated part of the church.   Perhaps other units are more lucky.  My experience is churches are willing to let the trailer be chained up in the parking lot, but not willing to build a shed.  ... but that's my experience.

On 5/1/2019 at 8:52 PM, SSScout said:

My Boy Troop has a shed at the Church.  Been with the same church for 20 years.  Best thing the troop ever did.  Specially because we can back the trailer right up to it, and swap out gear for certain campouts. 

Only down side, a couple years back they allowed the pack to put stuff in it, which as their leadership keeps changing, its hard to have them keep their side neat and organized, and that pinewood derby track is taking a lot of room.