Skit in Underwear - JCPenny

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The scout leader certainly has the right to ban a skit. Just don't be surprised if the boys respond by refusing to do any skits from now on.

If one of my scouts was in just his underwear during a skit, I would also be concerned about consequences. Knowing that you have moms who might well bypass you and call council to inform them o

I'll side with the scouts on this one because ... The skit is funny. Especially if the scout who plays the victim (let's identify him as scout-zero) is the one who introduces the skit wearing t

Thanks for all of the responses. I was more concerned about  being pulled into a council meeting because I have scouts doing skits in their underwear. I have a few moms that skip asking questions to the committee and go right to council. Now that I know there are no specific rules against doing a skit in your skivvies I will let them do it. I'll buy a pair of shorts or boxers that they can use and if they go briefs thats up to the scouts. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, TMSM said:

I was more concerned about  being pulled into a council meeting because I have scouts doing skits in their underwear.

If one of my scouts was in just his underwear during a skit, I would also be concerned about consequences.

4 hours ago, TMSM said:

I have a few moms that skip asking questions to the committee and go right to council.

Knowing that you have moms who might well bypass you and call council to inform them of scouts in their underwear outside an area where that is appropriate, I would strongly discourage the scouts from doing this skit in it's original form (I watched this skit on several occasions more than 50 years ago - I am sure that it amuses the scouts as much now as it did then).

4 hours ago, TMSM said:

Now that I know there are no specific rules against doing a skit in your skivvies I will let them do it.

G2SS & YPT cannot possibly list every single situation that may pop up, I would think showing your scouts the line under Barriers to Abuse / Program Requirements "Appropriate attire is required for all activities" should be clear enough for them.  I might also ask them if they consider walking down the sidewalk in their underwear appropriate, or more importantly, would their parents consider being in any setting other than one where lack of dress is normal, would be appropriate.

i am amazed that campfire skits done at camporees have really not evolved much at all over the 55 years I have been with the program.  I did not see one skit at our recent spring camporee that I did not see when I was a scout myself.  Some of these are just plain corny, others might have been funny 50 years ago, now they seem more mean and crude than anything else.  

I do not want to come off as the old fogey, I enjoy a corny skit as much as the next guy, but in the age we live in, especially with the likelihood that there are now young ladies in the campfire audience, we should think about how some other than our troop may react to some of these 'old classics'.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1
On 4/16/2019 at 11:01 AM, TMSM said:

My Scouts have a skit called JCPenny. in the skit the first scout comes by with a nice shirt and the Boy #1 says nice shirt where did you get that and he says JCPenny, second scout comes by with and scouts # 1 says nice pants where did you get them - JCPenny. At the end of the skit a boy runs on stage in his underwear and scout number 1 says who are you - answer - I am JCPenny.

Due to YP I have asked the bos not to do this skit anymore or at least use gym shorts instead of underwear. They have asked to see the specific rule, page number where BSA does not permit this. - Can anyone help?

Guide to Safe Scouting:

https://www.scouting.org/health-and-safety/gss/gss01/

Appropriate attire is required for all activities.

2 hours ago, MikeS72 said:

G2SS & YPT cannot possibly list every single situation that may pop up, I would think showing your scouts the line under Barriers to Abuse / Program Requirements "Appropriate attire is required for all activities" should be clear enough for them.  I might also ask them if they consider walking down the sidewalk in their underwear appropriate, or more importantly, would their parents consider being in any setting other than one where lack of dress is normal, would be appropriate.

I am good with letting the scouts (boys) do this, I think appropriate attire is a stretch. The boys think its funny, it hurts no one and the scout is in his underwear for less than 3 seconds. Scouts is not coed in my area and we dont plan on this anytime soon.

I've seen this skit with the scout named "Penny" or "Pennies" or "JC Penny" come out wearing a large box in lieu of clothes (I presume with shorts underneath). An empty barrel might be funnier but harder to construct out of things you might have around camp. 

Would that be an appropriate compromise do you think?

• Upvote 2
On 4/16/2019 at 5:08 PM, T2Eagle said:

I think it's under appropriate attire.  It's never OK to be out in public in just your underwear.

But I think the skit can still be done .  Wear very obvious underwear over top of gym shorts or a bathing suit.  Invest 5 bucks in XXXL size tighty whiteys, roll the shorts up to be completely covered by the underwear, and what you have is a costume over appropriate clothing.

This seems like the right approach to me.

What's funny about the skit is the idea that the Scout is left in just his underwear.  I'd suggest something similar to @T2Eagle.  Have the scout in a white undershirt and funny boxers.  Under that have him wearing black or skin colored gym shorts.  The Scout doesn't need to be in his underwear to make that point.

Doing that, the Scout is in appropriate attire.  Also, the Scout is now thinking about showmanship and has gotten people to think he's in his underwear without really being in his underwear. 

Do kids today even know JC Penny is/was a dept store?  They may need to change to A.M. Zon.... with the lead kid in the skit correcting them with oh, “Amazon”.   Finally the last kid runs out and is asked... who are you,  and he replies I Am Zon!   I don’t know... JC Penny worked better but may be bankrupt by summer. 😥

Boys are in Speedo’s at swim meets which is appropriate for that event (but covers very little)..  The clothing they wear is appropriate for the skit and they aren’t naked... let the kids have some fun.

• Upvote 1
5 hours ago, Eagle1993 said:

let the kids have some fun.

Agreed.

Earlier this year I had the opportunity to attend a speaking event with Dr. Kevin Elko. He spoke to how our culture has morphed into one where people get irrationally offended at the drop of a hat.

Let the kids have some fun.

• Upvote 2

Our council banned this skit a few years back citing that it glorified bullying and hazing both of which are not allowed in scouts. My guys (cubs and scouts) used to loved JC Penney and centa-peed. They can't do them anymore. It's ashame adults have to ruin kids fun. Kids think bodily functions are hilarious, too bad the up tight PC adults won't let kids be kids. We're raising a generation of hypersensitive kids, I'm scared of the thought of these soon to be adults running the world in my old and grey days. 

34 minutes ago, bsaggcmom said:

Our council banned this skit.... 

Council can ban skits? I think half of our skits could be banned if you applied this kind of logic. German biker gang, scout masters brain, Hanz the german, ugliest human. I could go on and on.

For sure now we are keeping the JCPenny skit.

6 minutes ago, TMSM said:

Council can ban skits? I think half of our skits could be banned if you applied this kind of logic. German biker gang, scout masters brain, Hanz the german, ugliest human. I could go on and on.

Micro-management of a troop that way is completely inappropriate.  

There can be no excuse for anyone at the council level doing such a thing.

• Upvote 1
55 minutes ago, bsaggcmom said:

Our council banned this skit a few years back citing that it glorified bullying and hazing both of which are not allowed in scouts. 

I am assuming you mean they banned the skit from summer camp performances and council events.  That is their event and they can do what they want.  What a troop does out in the woods and the mud and dark of the campfire ring is really up to that troop and their interpretation of the guideline of the BSA

2 hours ago, bsaggcmom said:

Our council banned this skit a few years back citing that it glorified bullying and hazing both of which are not allowed in scouts. My guys (cubs and scouts) used to loved JC Penney and centa-peed. They can't do them anymore. It's ashame adults have to ruin kids fun. Kids think bodily functions are hilarious, too bad the up tight PC adults won't let kids be kids. We're raising a generation of hypersensitive kids, I'm scared of the thought of these soon to be adults running the world in my old and grey days. 

Ugh!

We want to live the Scout Oath & Law, but we have to trust our scouts to recognize a silly skit from reality.  If we can't trust Scouts to make that choice, then I don't think we've accomplished much as a program.  

• Upvote 1