this thread is asking the question, what do you love most in Scouting?

In other words, what charges your batteries and why do you keep going?

In this recent era of some contention on the boards, I thought it might be good to remind ourselves and us each other, what it is that keeps us in the program.

I can tell you that I'm very much looking forward to getting out to our council's Boy Scout resident camp tomorrow and seeing the boys in a natural scouting setting.

I know I'll come back recharged, reinvigorated and without weight on my shoulders. Would that I could spend the rest of the week out there, but will enjoy my time with the boys and the troop leaders.

What do you love?

I also get to visit a Cub Day camp and spend the day next week. That will also recharge the batteries.

You have to love kids that fish with no bait and don't really care . . . :)

Unc.

From Scout camp last week:

Watching two scouts finish the mile run for Personal Fitness, and then go back and run the last 1/8th with their buddy who was struggling.

Watching boys who could not lead a horse to water last year, take the reigns and run the troop this year.

Seeing scouters come to the aid of a boy who fell and broke his leg. The concern and the care they gave was touching.

Seeing scouters come to the aid of a fellow scouter who injured his back, and how his scouts rallied around him for support.

Having a boy move into the area, join our troop and go camping with a bunch of strangers - only to leave a week later with two dozen friends.

An impromptu campfire - complete with skits and goofy stories. Why? Just because we were there.

Being with my son for a week - no TV, no video games.

I love the look on a boy's face when he's doing something he never thought he would - like one of my Bear CUb Scouts when we went horseback riding.

I love facilitating training courses or serving on staff and watching new leaders go back to their units with a new confidence and excitement for the Scouting program.

My son's troop is going through some transitions right now and I'm not exactly happy with what is happening. I love the support I have received from my fellow Scouters in the district and council. These people have the BOYS best interests in mind and truly care about what is happening in the units. They are willing to step in as soon as I say the word. It's nice to know I have their respect, even if I don't have the respect of some of the leaders who wear the same unit numerals on their uniform as I do.

....when he finally gets the task/job right!

Helped run the rifle range at summer camp this year. Had boys who had never shot anything before. First round , all over the target (if they even hit it!)

The smile on his face when he brought back the qualifying target is payment enough.

Had a young lad who was very hard on himself; got him finally shooting a group and although he didn't qualify for the merit badge he was happyier.

Saw him at the campfire last night at camp. I was sitting on the end of the aisle, saw him climbing the steps. He saw me, BIG smile and a High Five with a "Hey, Mr. Art!"

Made all the sweat worth it!

Kind of weird maybe but . . .

I love watching the Cub Scout age boys interacting with the Boy Scout/Venturing counselers at Cub Scout Day Camp.

The admiration. The laughter. The patience. These young men & woman really care about these kids that they've never met before.

I've spent little time with Scouts so far, but in that time, I have felt privileged so far to see boys (my own son included) make choices that were hard to make but that were good for them. Even in Scouting that can happen.

Now, when it comes to Cubs, the way the boys' faces light up when I (I'm the CM) grab my red bag (known to all now as the awards bag) and put up the Scout sign for attention. They know something fun is coming.

The silly skits, the laughter, the loud and often off-key songs--what fun! Who says singing isn't cool?!

Seeing a boy go from shy and nervous and keeping his face in his book as much as possible to requesting time to give a 3-minute talk. Wow!

The discussions with the boys, Cubs and Scouts, which tend to teach me so much about them and to also give me a fresh perspective on things. Seeing the world through the youth--what a blessing!

Washing cars with the Cubs. Working side by side with a boy who has never washed a car, guiding him through it, is a wonderful time of fun as well as productive. Working alongside him a month later, washing another car, seeing his confidence as he says "see, I can do it now".

Going to a music concert with the Cubs, where most fall asleep, but I see hands waving and look over to spot one of our Cubs conducting with a great big smile on his face.

Spending time with my sons. Having both of them tell me after meetings or events, "Mom, you are awesome"!

What do I love? In a nutshell, I love working with youth, and the best part of it is knowing that I have a small part in helping them to find their feet as they try out new and different things and grow in confidence and character doing so.(This message has been edited by Laurie)

What do I love most in Scouting ......

My wife who was my Advancement Chair when I was Cubmaster! Who always listens to me ramble about camping trips! Who has allowed me to continue long after my son turned 18.

I also love her just because of who she is! She is the best person I know and my best friend.

Ed Mori

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

Taking my sons (and now other people's sons) back to the camp that I attended as an 11 year old Tenderfoot in 1966. As an OA member, seeing the pavilion that we built and seeing the list of signatures of those who were there in 1970 when it was dedicated...still on the wall...some deceased, most now grown and with sons of their own. Seeing the same trees and buildings, as well as new ones. Lining up at the flagpole for colors and seeing the Troop across the field that my Dad and I helped start in 1967...still strong and active, and at least for one week every year being able to go back in time and be happy again. Seeing my sons and other scouts "age out" (even if they didn't make Eagle) and start making ethical decisions in their own lives...because it's the right thing to do.

Realizing that at least part of my life hasn't been for naught.

What do I love...it's helpful to remember why I spend the time I do on this.

I'm an idealist - what I love most is the potential - this is also why I get so easily frustrated too - those of you who are into personality typing, I'm an enfp - I live in the realm of possibilities - it's so annoying to me when other people cant see what can be as clearly as I think I do ;)

Scouting keeps me grounded - idealism is all fine and dandy, but the moments of real joy - a knot tied, a friendship mended, a pitched tent, a really tasty goulash seasoned with a stray dead leaf or bit of I-hope-its-crushed-rock - these things are good for me.

Peace,

Anne in Mpls

What do I love most in Scouting..

The bonds that are foremd between scouts, and the friendship and brotherhood that brings boys together.

There is nothing like being with your buddies climbing a mountain, reaching the summit and looking out on the great horizon, knowing that you made it there together. It's priceless.

I teach outdoor skills to schools and adults. I work with emotionally disturbed young people a lot.

What I enjoy about Scouting is seeing young people perform well under stress. We can do more than schools because we train and trust the Scouts to get out without adults. Few schools will do that and then teachers and parents think that it is becasue the kids are not capable.

Many many kids out there have not got their act together enough to be okay in the bush without adults.

We are privelaged to work with our Scouts. Watching them and testing them makes me proud of our young people and reminds me that their peers can come up to scratch also .... if only they had the right care and training.

What really "charged my batteries" today was reading all these posts--and being able to relate to all of them. The kind of brotherhood that scouts develop over years by sharing many good and bad experiences through outdoor experiences really says a lot about this organization. I've been in scouting for a long time, and I can say that I'm still very good friends with some of my fellow scouts, and we enjoy recalling past scouting experiences. They were, and still are, my brothers.

Still, there just isn't enough I can possibly say about my appreciation of the brotherhood achieved through scouting. What charges my batteries on every camping trip I attend with my troop is seeing the boys working together cheerfully to get the job done.

So what charges my batteries?

When scouts manage to sit around an unlit fire and share the same warmth and cheerfulness as they would with a fire lit.

When scouts help other scouts--set up a tent, build a fire, complete a merit badge--without being asked.

When younger scouts who have never camped in a rural area away from "civilization" look up at the stars and say "WOW".

When I take part in an Ordeal weekend, and watch the ceremonies.

These--and many, many other personal experiences--are what charge my batteries.