Greetings from England

Greetings,

I just joined the site today and think it's great. Good place to get my questions answered. We are currently living in England (at least for another year and a couple of months) and belong to a wonderful pack on the base that we live on. We are getting ready to do our 3rd campout (we had one in June 2004 and October 2004). The troop as well as the PACK will be going to Normandy France in April for all Europe campout. They are expecting 2,000 kids. In May we will be camping out in London at a British scoutcamp and then in June we will be having a campout at our base for the kids to crossover to there next rank. My son is so excited. He is currently a Tiger. My husband and I share the Tiger responsiblities and he is also the Asst. Cubmaster. In June he will take over as CubMaster and I guess I'll move up to Wolf with my son. Looking forward to getting to know this board.

Julie

Trevorum,

Yes we actually went to Gilwell Park in Oct. Our boys had a blast. It was a little wet but then again everything is wet in England. My husband is planning on taking our son to Brown Sea Island as well as the Baden Powell House before we leave here. In May we will be camping at Chalfont. This will be my sons second time there. The first time was his very first scout event and needless to say it was one of the best times he ever had.

Julie

Welcome, as you will soon find out,Eamonn is from England(you can hear the accent in his typing).I'm currently working on an exchange program with a brit troop. We're sending two from Nebraska, & they're sending two from southwest of London.

Welcome,& have you tried the "Marmite" yet?

nutz4scouting

Welcome jteamnmj!

Wow, sounds like you're having a great time in England! And you're going to France! It's a great experience for your family, to experience different cultures! Too bad you can't post any pictures so we could see where you've been in England! I'm new & I don't know if posting pics is allowed. Take care & have a great day!

Judy

Just wanted to thank everyone for the welcome. This board is absolutely brilliant. I showed my husband it and he has also signed up.

Eamonn- Yes we are being treated great. The country is absolutely fabulous.

crgholthus - I think thats awesome about the exchange program. I'm sure your boys will have a blast. As to the Marmite - no wouldn't touch it with a 10ft pole but we do go to the pubs quite a bit

Ghopher Judy - Yes we are absolutely having a wonderful time. We live out in the country and are literally surrounded by fields and sheep. I am realitively new to scouts but my husband has been in Scouts for some time. We couldn't wait for our son to get to first grade so he could join. Our Pack on base invited all of the boys that had completed Kindergarten to come on there end of the year campout which happended to be at Chalfont (near London)as a welcome into scouting get to know us. Well we have a wonderful group of boys who embraced the new younger boys and made them feel totally welcomed. My son went in very excited and came out totally hooked on the whole cub scout thing and has not looked back since. As a family we have been to Germany, Scotland, and Wales. As a family we have also been all over England. Some of the places we have taken our son have been to London, Dover, Stonehenge, a number of Castles, and a bunch of historic sites. This summer we are hoping to do some camping in the Scottish Highlands as well as the Lake District. We also want to take my son on a horse back riding weekend in Wales. Hopefully we'll have the time. France will be our first scouting event outside of England so we are all excited. Because of were we live in England we have focused most of our Go See Its to things close to base as well as on base (simply because of cost to our parents). I must say that living in England has been a wonderful experience for the entire family and we are going to miss it terribly when my husband gets transfered to his next duty station but as we have a little over a year left here we are going to make the most of it.

Julie

• 4 months later...